Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   try at 3Ds Max (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19651)

mc-fleury 02-01-2006 06:17 PM

try at 3Ds Max

hi, i just got 3Ds Max and i really like it. it can be a litle confusing sometimes when you change from a program to another but its a really nice prog.

i just wanted to know how FinalGather in maya is called in 3Ds Max.

btw, i heard that 3Ds Max is the most powerful prog. in the 3d industri.someone said to me that you have to know 3Ds Max if you want to make a career in the industri of 3d, he said that its just like photoshop,if you want to make a career in the 2d art, they dont care if you perfectly know painter.you need to know photoshop.is that true.:confused:
hope you know what i mean.

MattTheMan 02-01-2006 06:46 PM

For games now its 3ds max. For films now its Maya. And FG is called in Max also Final Gather

mc-fleury 02-01-2006 07:00 PM

thanx

mc-fleury 02-01-2006 07:02 PM

King Kong has been made in maya?

pixelsoul 02-01-2006 07:54 PM

A tool is a tool... and if its xsi, maya or max doesn't really matter as long as you get the result.

Pyrus 03-01-2006 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mc-fleury
King Kong has been made in maya?
Yups :bandit:
If i'm not wrong , ALIAS has a partnership agreement with WETA digital.Since the early beginning around the year 1995, they've been using MAYA more and more. From Heavenly creatures until Kong.

Quote:

Originally posted by pixelsoul
A tool is a tool... and if its xsi, maya or max doesn't really matter as long as you get the result.
That's the answer for which one I would add a vote ;)
Use what you like Mc-F. And don't really think one is for Games and the other for Films. They both can endorse thoroughly the tasks needed, with totally different workflows, disadvantages and advantages.
At a time, I was said that the choice was relative to the continent. Like XSI for ASIA, MAX for Europe and Maya for USA. But as you prolly will notice, it's mainly depending on productions studios CHOICE and nothing else. Some other tools are also used, lets not forget them. Maxon Cinema4D was used to produce "North Pole XPress", while the studios first thought about Maya, the production deadlines were exploded when they decided switching on C4D to increase productivity. So, you see, CHOICE. FF-The Spirits Within was fully produced with XSI I think. So, now, what will ya choose ? :attn:

I personaly switched C4D >> Maya, as I wanted the tool for VG production/integration (also because applying with C4D as main tool is a bit frustrating). And I must say here in Belgium, films are tought on MAX , and VG industry is tought on Maya (but in both cases, schools let students use the tool they prefer << and that's really intelligent isn't it ?).

mc-fleury 03-01-2006 11:26 PM

can we create hair and fur in max as maya do.

Tiago2 04-01-2006 01:34 PM

I'm not to familier with maya that much but if u are using '3ds max 8' then u can add a 'hair n fur' modifier to the object you want to put hair in. That will get u started.

Any other version of max, asside from 7.5, there is no hair or fur built in.

mc-fleury 04-01-2006 05:42 PM

thanx!

A_A_68 05-01-2006 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MattTheMan
For games now its 3ds max. For films now its Maya. And FG is called in Max also Final Gather
what is FG?

gster123 05-01-2006 10:41 AM

Final gather ina very simple term is a way of faking global illumination, like the light from outside lights an object.

vasvaas 06-01-2006 04:49 AM

Maya is more powerful than max. max is used more coz its cheap. << ma teacher told me. he's a visual effects supervisor.

MattTheMan 06-01-2006 06:34 PM

Not neccessarily, Maya is not stronger. Max has far better spline modeling tools. And what the f***, Max is cheaper? $3000 US. Now, you dont HAVE to have all of the Maya Cloth and Fur and whatever crap... you can do all that... addmittedly takes more time, but you can do it in maya particles amd stuff. I can simulate with soft bodies as cloth so much better than I can do so with actual Maya Cloth. :angery: So. And for fur, you can use the Shave and Cut program that is... well FREE. And you can make polygon hair.

3ds Max 8 - $3000
Maya Complete - $2000
Maya Unlimited - $7100

Max is one of the most Expensive programs out there!

XSI Foundations - $500
Cinema 4D - $600
Lightwave 3D - $750
3ds Max 8 - $3000

Alright?
sorry for ranting... i dont mean to offend. So if I offend you... then sorry :alien:

mc-fleury 06-01-2006 06:57 PM

thanx matt!

i would like to know how split polygone tool is called in max and were can i find it?

btw, maya ulimited is 5100$ more expensive than maya complete because it has maya fur and maya cloth,and i dont know if LIVE is in both maya ulmitd and maya compl.?

vasvaas 07-01-2006 04:10 AM

I got maya Unlimited for just $2.30. and nothin to worry. :p