Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   MY flamer guy from DVD1 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12455)

Mantat 01-07-2004 10:14 PM

MY flamer guy from DVD1

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is. I have changed a few things from the original design.

Problem I had:
- the thumb is in a weird position and I gave up trying to fix it.
- ears are a bit off
- boots I dont know how I want them to look so I will do them later
- the side pocket. I really dont like it but I wasted so much time on it that it deserve to stay there.

Stuff I will add in the next posts:
- a breather mask
- com link on the helmet
- all the straps once I figure out how to fix my motion path problem
- a flamer!

So here are the pics:

Mantat 01-07-2004 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
notice the ugly pocket...

Mantat 01-07-2004 10:17 PM

**edit: forgot to send image**

Mantat 01-07-2004 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
back view...
BTW, a question about rendering:
how can I change the background to make it white?

Kurt 01-07-2004 11:16 PM

Good start.... changing the back ground is pretty easy.... go to view on the left side of you view panel> select camera> hit control A> in the channel box on the right, scroll down till you see enviroment. Then you will see a color bar you can change by double clicking on it.

ransick 02-07-2004 07:09 AM

nice start! ...keep it up dude :)

Mantat 02-07-2004 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is some progress on the mask. I will leave it like this for now and try to do the belt and armor straps...

Kevin 03-07-2004 12:54 AM

thats pretty cool dude! you doing well - keep it up

Mantat 03-07-2004 02:53 AM

its done!

1 Attachment(s)
Now that my guy in completed, I have some questions about the workflow I should use. The model is in SubDiv, should I convert it to poly and if so, what command do I use to increase the polycount?
Should I rig now or do the texturing first? And plz. release the textuing DVD soon!!! I need it now!
Anything I should do that I forgot to ask about?

Kurt 03-07-2004 03:34 AM

Texture first.. just convert back to poly add a poly smooth to it. once its smoothed go to the channel box you will see a option for poly smooth click on it and you can put divisions up to 2 if the first smooth is not enough for you.

ransick 03-07-2004 09:36 PM

hey nice Mantat! giv' the guys a break :p ....it probably will come soon anyways...
in the meanwhile maybe you can give some time to add some detail to the hands.. the rest looks pretty good! good job on that :)

Mantat 05-07-2004 12:29 AM

After I smooth it, will I be able to reverse back to the original simpler model if I need to add details?

I did some test with the polysmooth and if I select all my model and do the smooth command, it will only smooth one boot. And incidentaly, this boot is the last one on my outliner list. Is this a known bug? Mac specific or I did something wrong?

Kurt 05-07-2004 12:38 AM

Sounds like you deleted history after you smoothed.... I dont have a mac so im not sure if its a mac thing.

Mantat 06-07-2004 12:40 AM

I checked and it had nothing ro do with history, weird...

Anyways, I managed to convert the whole thing into poly and I am scared! It has about 145000 faces!!! Is it normal?

I tried with a smooth level 1 but it didnt work very well, only level 2 did the trick.

Also Kurt, any idea when your DVD is coming out? I have looked everywhere on the net for good tutorial on texturing and found nothing. Only the tutorial on the alias site was somewhat usefull and even then, they dont give enought information.

I really need to texture that guy!

Thanks!

Kurt 06-07-2004 12:44 AM

Faces seem high mate.. post a picture.. are you saving in steps?