Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Matrix Logo (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5795)

lemon67 16-05-2003 08:28 PM

Matrix Logo

Somebody should try out this tutorial:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/harley1/

Because I couldnt get it to work, but i think it is easy if you dont suck. But if someone can get it to work. Please tell me because I would like to try and make it work myself. Peace

mshoward82 16-05-2003 09:58 PM

I tried a while back and couldn't get it to work either.

I think its something in the mel script
I don't use mel, so i don't know.

mumbojumbo_13 17-05-2003 11:49 AM

you have to speed up the emmitter or increase the playback range i remeber i tried that and it worked but it doesn't look as good as in the pic

Darkware 20-05-2003 01:27 AM

I tried it and everything worked, but I must say it isn't like the real code in the Matrix. With this, you have the code streaming down like in the movie, but each particle is constantly changing because of the random command in the mel which does not occur. I looked closely at the coding in the Matrix in a specific scene (when Neo is talking to Cypher and Cypher offers him a drink. right after Cypher says "sweet dreams") to see exactly what it looked like and all I can say is that I don't know how one would go about making it. It's movement is complex. If you look closely, you can see that the code doesn't really move from top to bottom but rather "lights up" from top to bottom. I don't think you ever actually see a letter or number in the code move. Another thing is that the first character in each line of moving code is white. It almost seems like when they created this effect they had a plane of some sort with lots of numbers and letters and ran moving lights inbehind it to light the characters up.

Here's another fact: The Matrix code you see in the Neo and Cypher scene is different from the code you see in the beginning of the movie. This other coding is all numbers. (I suppose because it has to do with the phone system since the machines are tracing Trinity's line at this time) This code is easier to do since each number is constantly changing and nothing moves up or down. In Maya terms, it's like having a bunch of spread out, instanced particles standing still with a rand. expression to control the instances.

Anyway, I think this has turned into my next project. I'm going to try and make a realistic Matrix code.

lemon67 21-05-2003 03:30 AM

Thats sounds cool dude, well email me at zorba_colin69@hotmail.com if you ever get a realistic matrix code, because i would love to find out how to get it working. Or a good one. My next project is going to be modeling one of the Twins from the matrix reloaded. Will be a daunting task but i will try. And one more thing darkware, "The glyphs on the computer screens, with the exception of the call traces, consists of reversed letters, numbers, and Japanese katakana characters."
Email if anything come up~

Emo 21-05-2003 03:58 AM

Lemon, when you model the twins... if you make the visual effects they did...then you would be my God! :D

I would LOVE to figure out how to do that effect

-Emo

lemon67 21-05-2003 12:22 PM

LOL, yea so would I. I will try. But yea, they are the best new characters in the matrix by-far!

ragecgi 21-05-2003 02:00 PM

Hey Darkware, I'll post the 2 fonts (that I've been able to find anyway)
used in the "code-rain" shots tonight when I get home for you all:)

Lemon is right.

Mainly the "typical" code-rain shots are a subset of the katakana horizonatally mirrored plus arabic numerals (0-9) and a fair number of punctuational symbols.

Lemme know if ya want em:)

Darkware 21-05-2003 08:16 PM

I currently take a Japanese class, so I know all the hirigana and katakana characters. The problem is figuring out which ones were used in the code and which ones were mirrored and flipped.

ragecgi 21-05-2003 09:31 PM

Well, you know more than I do about that, so I'll post the font(s) anyway, and if they look right, then cool, if not, then my bad :)

Cool?

Darkware 21-05-2003 11:23 PM

Yeah sure, go ahead and post the fonts. Gimme all you got.

Darkware 22-05-2003 12:00 AM

Checked it out a little more and found out that the majority of the code is katakana believe it or not. I didn't see any English letters at all and only a few numbers. There are 22 characters in every colomn and about 55 rows of colomns. That comes out to be 1,210 characters total. All katakana and numerals are flipped. I didn't see a single one facing the right way which makes a person wonder if this wasn't actually a mistake.

As said before, some code flowing downward has a white character in the front. There are about ten of these white characters on screen at any given time. Some code flows downward as if a light were lighting up each character on a plane from behind as explained before, while some code does not flow downward at all, but changes its characters. Some code doesn't change at all. It just sits there. Some colomns remain "characterless" and are completely blank.

mshoward82 22-05-2003 01:17 AM

Darkware - You must have some spare time to look at all those characters so closely. :)

Don't you have something else to do. :)

LOL..... ehh, I'm just messin with you.

That's prety neat that you figured taht all out.

ragecgi 22-05-2003 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go:)

These are Windows TrueType .ttf fonts, and I've got 7 fonts here for yaz:)

Check em all out, as I don't know which one you might need.

The one that looks most promising is called, ironicly, "MatrixCode.ttf"

Enjoy, and I hope they help:)

ragecgi 22-05-2003 03:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way, here is the BEST controllable matrix-code screensaver I've ever found.

You can even choose you fav fonts from your collection:)