Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   UV mapping (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27127)

ThorClodofBlunders 04-08-2007 03:58 AM

UV mapping

Hi again. I'm sure there's going to be a collective groan when I ask my question, but let me say before anyone asks that the maya help files aren't really that helpful since the menus and selections they tell you to pick are either labelled differently or filed somewhere else.

Anyways, I have this fine mess that I'm trying to get auto-mapped.

Maya PLE's help file tells me to "From the modeling menu set, select Create UVs > Automatic Mapping > []"

Unfortunately, I cannot find said modelling menu set, or anything that looks like "Create UVs" or "Automatic Mapping"

Big question: How do I arrange this UV into something I can export into photoshop? Also, HOW do I export this into photoshop? (I tried with a simple polygon sphere without any success)

Weyu 04-08-2007 09:49 AM

That was a rather large question... You can find the modeling set meny in your upperleft corner(Should be set to modeling by default i think to.) Just change it to modelling.

Under polygons or subdivison polygons I think you can find the different ways to Uv map (Planar cylindrical etc.) Google it to find some tutorial. :)

gubar 04-08-2007 09:58 AM

Hi,

in newer versions of maya, it's not called the modelling menu set, but the polygon menu set. Then, as was suggested above, select automatic mapping from the create UVs drop down menu.

I've just finished a book called The Game Artist's Guide to Maya - it's worthwhile, and contains a good chapter on creating UV maps. I learnt a lot from it.

cheers,

gubar

Weyu 04-08-2007 10:18 AM

Nice, I didnt know you were a writer. :D

You got some information page about it? :p

gster123 04-08-2007 10:47 AM

HAve you got the help files for maya 8/8.5? Just that my Help files say that its under polygons, exactly where it is.

gubar 04-08-2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Weyu
Nice, I didnt know you were a writer. :D

You got some information page about it? :p

Hi, you've got me wrong - I meant that, I've just finished working through the book. It is written by Michael McKinley (a lead artist for Bungie, makers of the Halo games). I had a couple of issued with the book but generally found it excellent - it goes through the process of modelling (with reference photos), rigging, skinning, creating character and sub character sets, little bit of set driven keys, blend shapes, animating, using the trax editor and uv mapping. Even if you're not into games it's a really good introduction to a lot of key concepts.

cheers,

gubar

ThorClodofBlunders 04-08-2007 09:10 PM

I looked again and I couldn't find anything that remotely looked like "Create UVs" or any other drop menus that had anything that looked like "align UVs..."

This is under polygons:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...ocreateuvs.jpg

Is this disabled in Maya PLE?

04-08-2007 09:17 PM

Look to the top left of the screen, not the view.
:beer:

gster123 05-08-2007 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Look to the top left of the screen, not the view.
:beer:

Ehhh??

Its in the main view panel in the polygon menu set, not the uv texture editor, heres a screen grab

gster123 05-08-2007 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a better one, didnt realise that it would be that small when posted!

05-08-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
Ehhh??

Its in the main view panel in the polygon menu set, not the uv texture editor, heres a screen grab

He was looking at the Polygon menu in the view, I was directing him to the right thing (the Polygon menu set in the top left of the screen).

ThorClodofBlunders 08-08-2007 04:52 PM

Got it, thanks!