Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Anyone with a geoforce 8600m gt grfixcard (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29626)

elephantinc 16-04-2008 02:48 AM

Anyone with a geoforce 8600m gt grfixcard

im thinking of buying a macbook but for the life of me i cant find out if maya works with this graphix card
does anybody know?

16-04-2008 03:09 AM

Looks like it works to me:
http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya...sion2_mac.html

elephantinc 16-04-2008 01:53 PM

It would appear your right
cheers
by the looks of everything ive found the issues for this graphics card are limited to pcs
:beer:

gster123 16-04-2008 02:07 PM

Look a bit further down on the "General Notes About Graphics Cards on Mac Workstations"

elephantinc 16-04-2008 10:02 PM

theres nothing there worse than what i got now by a long shot
you really dont want me to get a mac do you Gster123?
anyway im not gonna buy one straight away, if at all cos i dont need it just yet, ill probably wait untill the next update thing comes out

gster123 16-04-2008 11:09 PM

If you want a mac get one, its your money at the end of the day, I was happy with people buying them, I was just pointing out that the GFX problems arnt just PC specific as it says on autodesks site.... Just have a proper look about before making a decision as you dont actually use your OS that much so to speak you use the software.

16-04-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
Just have a proper look about before making a decision as you dont actually use your OS that much so to speak you use the software.
Woah, that is like the complete opposite of true. You use your OS every day. Every time you start your computer, you use the OS.

gster123 16-04-2008 11:55 PM

No way, I though it was magic...

I didnt mean it like that, you dont start your computer then mess about with your OS fiddeling with things native to the OS do you for a productive day? Do you use use finder to write a report, devidce manager to search the internet?? Course you dont , You start it up open a programme (software) then use that, your OS is in the back doing the work but you dont notice it as your using the software, hence you dont actually use it that much (even though its there doing its job)...

elephantinc 17-04-2008 12:52 AM

yes but having said that macs are more stable than windows so when your running those programmes it works, most of the time (which is more than can be said for vista)

alexanderH 17-04-2008 12:55 AM

agreed.
I've a Mac and a PC. I love them together and hate them equally when apart.
Both Operating systems have problems.
They mimic each other in most results just sometimes you take a different path to get the result. for example, on the single button mouse you control+click for a right-click. Sure in windows its a right-click.

If you are more comfortable with a mac, get a mac, if not get a PC. If you are looking for the best animation machine out of the box for price/value and not so concerned about changing your workflow (then again maybe not) then like Gster said, make sure you get all your info straight. As no-biased as possible as it will benefit only you in the end.

gster123 17-04-2008 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by elephantinc
yes but having said that macs are more stable than windows so when your running those programmes it works, most of the time (which is more than can be said for vista)

I couldent tell any difference in stability between OSX and XP, in fact OSX fell over a lot compared to windows with tiger.

As for running programmes yeah your spot on your not going to get a crash on a lot things, max, Zbrush (maybe one day you might), mudbox, XSi, Headus etc etc so suppose your right.

Gonna leave it at that before this gets locked

elephantinc 17-04-2008 01:18 AM

ok
i think i can make up my mind now
thanx for the input guys

dave_baer 24-04-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elephantinc
HA! You haven't seen what a bunch of noobs can do with a Mac. I've seen them crash it in all kinds of ways! :p

As for Vista... well.. that's a whole 'nother can o' worms.

:beer:

elephantinc 25-04-2008 01:38 AM

Thanx for the help

im certainly not gonna buy one straight away, if at all
i need to think about it and question why i want one