Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   franky the return (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24442)

mirek03 30-12-2006 03:22 PM

franky the return

1 Attachment(s)
having another go at franky, i have to try and deal with nurbs one day. Have a few deadlines.., but i'll do the best i can with this but it will be slow going.

had hardware problems, fixed now, no stops durig renders, ect, so i figure it is safe to try modelling again.

mirek03 31-12-2006 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bit more done, must say that Kurt is really getting his skills down as a teacher, great tut Kurt. Thanks for that.

enhzflep 31-12-2006 05:16 PM

Howareya Mirek, that's some nice progress there. Wish mine looked that good at the same stage - sure would've saved some pushing and pulling later Lol.

Gotta agree with you about Kurt's tutes, aren't they just great. Informative, easy going and very usefull. Mind you, I'm yet to find a tute here I've not benefited from.

S.

mirek03 01-01-2007 07:15 AM

thanks mate, but im sure you can do better than me :)

mmoore5553 01-01-2007 09:27 AM

looking good so far ..hopefully i can see you complete it .... good luck mate

mirek03 01-01-2007 11:36 AM

hey there stranger, best to yu. :)

yes, you will see it completed (he says sheepishly:blush: ) busy doing a spring clean (new years clean actually ) around the house (its a tragic site/sight) at the moment so franky will wait until tomorrow or if i am lucky, later today. I'll keep him posted. :)

just did a couple of minutes on the arms but certainly nothing there to post.

mirek03 02-01-2007 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wow, what's with the extrude tool in maya ?????

anyway.., Franky is pullling himself together.

half way through the second part of the tut.

forgot to mention thanks to enzelphlep (simon) for sending the tut when my computer was up a creek.., and matt, as he lurks in the shadows :) watching the progress. ;)

any help is appreciated, dont hold back.., 'is there anybody out there' (sung to the Pink Floyd tune of the same name)

enhzflep 02-01-2007 02:27 PM

relax, relax, relax. It's just a little pinprick... There'll be no more Aahhhhhhhh-ahhh-ahhhh. Is there anyone at home..;)

No worries mate, he's a lookin' good. Like his knees so far. I really struggle with them - I'll be set when I go to model a frog though.:blush: I might be inclined to pull the CVs on his bicepts to make them a bit chunkier (in Z dir). Though that may be well be suggested a later stage in the vid and is just a minor thing.

Nice topology overall, should be pretty easy to connect all the parts after the conversion to polys. Looking forward to seeing him done.

S.

ps-25,000,000 times better than me in AE..

marlonjohn 02-01-2007 06:58 PM

looks good soo far mirek, i hope i can do this tut when i have a chance. keep us posted mate, cheers...

"i have to try and deal with nurbs one day."
lol yeah we all have to one day :S

marlon

mirek03 03-01-2007 06:41 AM

thanks guys, have a deadline on some music and doing both, franky and the music at the moment so a little slow.. I try not to spend ALL my time in front of the computer but i am going to give the hands a go tonight. probably do a smooth on the shoes too. already checked it and it looks oK.

Have you guys got any idea about this extrude on maya 8. i saw some talk about it a few months back here at SM, but couldn't understand it. The extrude gave me some major trouble with the shoes on franky though, its hard to explain what it is, it sort of doesn't seem to centre well or something, someone mentioned a fix on it.., any ideas??

after doing this tut i dont think nurbs are too scary, but this mention of topology?? That is sort of scary because i don't understand how it effects the model,
:)

enhzflep 03-01-2007 05:11 PM

Oops!
Didn't mean to give ya a fright mate. It's a little hard for me to explain exactly the importance of the topology Mirek, it's something that becomes more apparent after you've converted to polys, attached all the pieces into a single mesh and then converted to subds.

Basically, what I was trying to say is that the isoparms seem to be well placed. I.e iso down the centerline of the legs and isos that very nearly meet up between two adjacent parts, amongst others.

I really wouldn't stress too much, it gets easier and easier to understand as you do more modelling. The real bonus is that the model is much easier to edit when in subds since there are less CVs to play with.

It wasn't until I had a bash at frankie 2 or 3 times, did the cartoon dog and then a few of my own characters that the penny began to drop. Couldn't for the life of me work out the aim of some of the steps Kurt took at first, but it all comes with practice. If you haven't already, I'd recommend you check out the thread from Jay about topology, it's got some nifty little bits of info in it about just this.

S.

mirek03 06-01-2007 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
will do mate, been busy withe music though, just found out the movie is being previewed in town in 4 weeks..?? not a real problem but would have liked more time to master it. The director teaches Maya at Tafe and asked me to do the music. It will premier with a seminar on CG and SPX; amazing how one thing leads to another. Really want to get these hands done on Franky but just messing on the key board for now, anyway here's another angle

publicFunction 06-01-2007 12:58 PM

Looks Good so far Mirek.

I did this tute and its a real good toon one (Mine kinda ended up looking like a body builder instead). I decided to texture, rig and then animate him. Just finished rigging him last night. So good luck to you and hope you take the tute further then the gr8 vid Kurt provided.

mirek03 06-01-2007 09:33 PM

hey thanks there R@nSiD, I was hoping to learn a lot from this. Rigging and animating too, maybe take a mesh into MotionBuilder, do some BASIC stuff in Z-Brush. I know Gster put me on to a basic Z-brush tut but my computer couldnt download any zips at that time and thats why Simon sent me the franky tuts.

Hope you keep a tab, I'll need help later with stuff like that. I have some tuts but even the most basic digi tut are a little past me and 'the bouncing ball animations..?? well, i started on that and is simple key framing. You've inspired me to spend at least an hour today on the hands. As I said, (and everyone else it seems0) Kurt has come up with a great tut here that all people (I have a dream that one day ALL people will be equal in the eyes of... :) ) can use and take to whatever level they need. The cartoon dog.., I hate that dog :) (sorry Kurt:) ) is too scary for me. this one is great.., oh yea, want to get the texturing thing down with too (Franky), maybe the cloth (freee) tut (Kurt AGAIN ??, doesn't that lad ever rest?) would sit well with this too, its a great tut to experiment with.

thanks. :beer:

publicFunction 07-01-2007 01:37 AM

Glad to see your enjoying this one. I'll be around if you need help later. My tip is keep the poly count down and clean, before you convert to Sub-D. Don't be disappointed if you don't get it exactly (it's called artistic licence anyway... :p) like Kurts, as you will never really get anything as exact as you did first time.

Yeah, Kurt has been non stop with the tutes, hes been a virtual avi conveyor belt over the last quarter or so.

So enjoy it, relax... And can't wait to see your results.