Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   exporting pieces of a project? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30782)

Soulrider911 27-08-2008 12:23 PM

exporting pieces of a project?

Hi i have a project...a character that i have built...and i want to use a skeleton from another project...how do i copy and past...or export and then import...i guess im asking what is the best way to bring something from one file into another...
thanks

Bluethunder 27-08-2008 01:16 PM

I would guess Import the file you want into the scene, but.. I don't really know! :confused:

Good luck anyways. You can try my suggestion, but save before you try it. If it doesn't work.. eh... then you have a saved copy! :D

bendingiscool 28-08-2008 12:42 AM

You can import do the export, import thing (from the file menu), but if its just a skeleton you can select the root joint and copy (ctrl c) open your other scene, and paste (ctrl v) in there.

Chris

Chirone 29-08-2008 06:02 AM

the only thing with copy pasting or importing is that the things you get have funky prefixes attached to them

copy pasted stuff have a long annoying "copy_pasted_" prefix, not exactly helpful and it takes forever to get rid of it all, unless you really don't care
if there's a way to mass delete an affix from names then i would like to know...

importing will just attach the scene file's name as a prefix, so it's a lot more helpful than "copy_paste_" prefix since you know where you got the stuff from

Bluethunder 29-08-2008 09:25 AM

ahh I would assume that if there is any way to get rid of the prefix/suffix added, it would be through some script of some sort. It'd probably involve substrings and arrays. I don't know anything at all about Mel, but if it can do that, then thats what the general program would be about.

I think. :D

Chirone 29-08-2008 09:29 AM

despite me saying so in my sig, i dont actually know enough about MEL or Python (yet) to know how scripting languages differ from non-scripting languages, but yeah, i'd imagine it would have some kinda substring operation in there somewhere

Gen 29-08-2008 12:59 PM

I wondered about that as well, so I imported it as a group, select the group node (in the Outliner or whatever) then on to Modify>Prefix Hierarchy Names, left it as prefix and then poof, the group now has 'prefix' in its name but the 'xxxx' prefix is gone from everything in the group, then you can rename the group or destroy it. If there is another way of doing this I'd like to know lol (I thought thats why the 'Search and replace' thingy was for).

Chirone 29-08-2008 04:32 PM

:mg: i never knew such menu item existed.... that helps a lot

Gen 01-09-2008 03:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so this thread isn't new but I stumbled ass backwards into something else about renaming , maybe it'll help somebody. Select the objects and use the input field, choose rename then enter a name for the objects.