Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   vertex location (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22302)

Furry Fury 11-07-2006 11:10 PM

vertex location

is there a way to change the cordinates of a vertex like a # i know objects have them do vertices? basicly i have a objects that is not flat and i want to make all vertcies seleted make a plane is there any easy way

jsprogg 11-07-2006 11:16 PM

the easiest way is to select all verts you want flat and then scale them in the direction you want and they will all line up on that plane, then just move them with the move tool to where you need them.

Furry Fury 11-07-2006 11:21 PM

no, that not what im asking.. i need a way to make the verices be in a 2d plane i have an object that havs lost of creaves and peaks that i want to flatten out i just dont wnat to move each one by one that could take hours (ok maybe about 15 min but thats not the point)

vladimirjp 12-07-2006 12:04 AM

this can be done easily with snaping features in maya, or the align tools in the modify tab.

snap to a point constrains selections to a "2d" plane nearest the point. you dont actually have to snap it to a point, snap and mmb drag on a "single" axis at a time.

or use the align tools.

Furry Fury 12-07-2006 12:25 AM

i still dont know what your getting at, ....

vladimirjp 12-07-2006 12:26 AM

hold v and mmb drag on and arrow on the transform manipulator.

Furry Fury 12-07-2006 12:39 AM

u still dont get it, i dont want them to move as a plane i want them to form a plane, to flatten out

Furry Fury 12-07-2006 12:41 AM

i basicly want to take a rolling pin to both sides

esion 12-07-2006 12:50 AM

Hmm...well Vlad's response should work. If you snap all the points back to one planar position then they will lie in a plane, which is what you want...

If you dont like that idea, you could possibly average the vertices, but this will never truely put them all on the same plane, but yet after a few they should be relatively close (hence 1/2 of a 1/2 of a 1/2, goes to 0, but never gets to 0).

The only other option is to just simply take your time and line up all the points by hand in all the different views. This will take forever, but at least you will be sure they line up.

TheAnswerRP03 12-07-2006 03:33 AM

i also would normally use vlad's way..but i guess if u really want u could select the verices that you want..then go to the component editor (window-->general editors) and you can highlight all the points and type in a number in the x y or z

gster123 12-07-2006 12:12 PM

Select all the verts, envolke the move tool and in the attribute editor for the move tool (you might need to double click the move tool Icon) theres an option box checked (with the text keep individual positions, or something like that, i think its the only one checked)

Uncheck this, select the snap to grid (or hold down x) and then move, the verts should then all align in a nice straight line.

P.S Remember to recheck the option box after you have aligned the verticies.