Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Facing Mental Ray (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24676)

publicFunction 17-01-2007 03:35 PM

Facing Mental Ray

1 Attachment(s)
OK

After much deliberation and the internal struggle I have decided to plunge into rending what I do in MR. I mean is sooo much better than the Maya SR.

This was something I was playing with and modelling at work as it has been really quiet over the couple of days and also one of my team asked how I would model the Pen Holder (Oh I don't work with Maya or any 3D app in my normal job :( ). So I gave him a live demo. I had a pen to go with it so I modelled that in 20 mins or so and played with the renders, but to no avail as the PC's at work are really poor on the graphics Hardware (I think its lucky they can actually display an image on screen of the O/S thb ;) ).

Anyway. I brought it home and started to play with MR and sorted out the issues I was having and ended up with this. I have just to add the decals to the Pen Holder and some writing that is on the pen and I'll post it in Finished and if I feel its worthy add it to my list for a portfolio.

Constructive Crits always welcomed, Enjoy...

MattTheMan 17-01-2007 03:57 PM

it's looking good but you could problably get that same effect with Maya Software.

I'd say try the MR Dielectric material for the glass part, with IOR 1.52
And try the other MR material that appears in the list for the pen part... ahh I forgot the name

Anyway, keep working on it, and it'll turn out great!

Cheers,
Matt

gster123 19-01-2007 11:05 AM

I'd suggest using a slight bump map and adding it tothe glass and not making the glass totally transparant (just 99% transparant)

You'll probably need a reflection map for the galss and the pen (if you use a HDR image than you wont need to as it will pick it up in the render) Also some use of the fresnell effect mapped to the reflection value will make it look nice and a lot more realistic.

Personally I dont use the mental ray materials for things like plastic, metal etc, as I find it hard without the previews to get it looking like I want, so I would just use Blinn's, but thats just me.

publicFunction 19-01-2007 11:31 AM

Thanks Guys...

As sugested by Matt, i am already using these materials. I tried to use MSR, but it never turned out correctly and looked awful.

The materials are a bit of a comprimise as I have used blinns and phongs on the pen to get the sheen. And I will work on the logos for both the pen and holder 2nite and post another render.

Thx blokes

tiddles 19-01-2007 11:58 AM

Lookin good R@nSiD,

As a suggestion only, maybe add a 2nd light to slighly right of front to help bring out some of the pen colors a little more and it might also add an interesting sheen to the glass material (no need to have it cast shadows - it's more to give the impression of reflected/ambient light).

I love lookin at other artist's renders, gives me loads of ideas to try.

:beer: