Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Vista hates maya (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32050)

RockyMills_01 12-03-2009 08:18 PM

Vista hates maya

Hi guys,
I recently bought a laptop with vista home premium, 2gb ram and an integrated GMA 4500 graphics card. I installed Maya 8.5 on it. Now I am having problems.
-First I cannot use the hypershade and graph editor windows because they are grayed out.
- I disable some features in the compatability tab of the icon. It seem to work, now every time I close the Graph Editor or Hypershade window, it screws up with all the view panels.
I will have to toggle through all the custom panel layouts before I hit the one the brings back my panels.
This is very annoying for it means that I can only do modeling on that machine.

I also find it odd because with my old laptop that ran Windows XP with 512mb of ram and an intergrated GMA 900 Graphic card Maya 8.5 runs without any technical issues at all.

Vista does not seem to like it very much.:confused:
Is there anything I can do to get Maya working properly with vista? Is Vista even the problem?

halfloaf 12-03-2009 08:21 PM

Vista

Hiya,

First thing to do is turn off / disable Aero. Are you running 32 or 64 bit? Have you got stable video drivers?

-Jacques

RockyMills_01 12-03-2009 08:30 PM

Thanks for the assistance.
I think I have vista 32bit and I updated the video card drivers but maya still behaves the same way.
Is there a patch out there for something like this?

RockyMills_01 12-03-2009 10:15 PM

Here is a screen shot of how it looks when I close the hypershade, then (minimize and maximize).

RockyMills_01 12-03-2009 10:18 PM

another set of blank panels.

Perfecto 13-03-2009 01:16 PM

I'm not sure it's a vista problem because I have Vista Home premium and I didn't have any issues like that running 8.5. I have an nVidia graphics card though.

There's an 8.5 service pack 1 on www.autodesk.com website that you can download and install, maybe that will fix your problem. You will need to uninstall your version of 8.5 (but not the documentation) because sp1 is the full version. It's just the full versions with the patches built into it.

RockyMills_01 13-03-2009 03:05 PM

I also installed Maya 6 and it too had the same problems. but I'll try installing the service pack for Maya 8.5 and see if that helps.

Thanks

gster123 14-03-2009 09:48 AM

Looks more to me like its the GFX card (or intergrated in this case) rarther than the OS. Maya is quite picky when it comes to GFX and can throw random problems.

Also have a look on Autodesks qualified hardware (not for the card) as sometimes they have work arounds for problems.

RockyMills_01 01-05-2009 09:39 PM

Hey guys,
I solved my problem. I took me laptop to a technician and he told me that Vista was the culprit. So I downgraded back to windows xp. Now all my Maya programs work flawlessly.

Thanks for all the help though.

gster123 02-05-2009 09:28 AM

I'm on vista and have no problems at all.

strange.

gubar 04-05-2009 03:42 PM

Vista and maya has always been fine for me too.

With major problems of any kind in maya I usually find a re-install of maya works.

RockyMills_01 04-05-2009 06:47 PM

My problems using vista was both maya 6 and 8.5 were giving my grayed out screens
2/ Toon Boom Studio was not saving any of my work
3/ Final Draft was refusing to save PDF files
4/ My Graphics tablet was not working properly

ALL problems fixed when I rolled back to XP!

ctbram 13-05-2009 08:44 AM

Take heart! Vista is like the Windows 98 Millenium addition (remember that cough cough OS). Millenium was more like a VIRUS then an operating system and was the final nail in the coffin for Windows 98.

Within the year windows 7 will be coming out and Microsoft will try to pretend Vista never existed lol.