Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Texture issue (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14639)

Zyk0tiK 08-12-2004 09:03 AM

Texture issue

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, not been around in a while... Got a job as a ASP.NET developer and then they found out I do 3D, and so now I work in 3D turning blueprints into 3D buildings for clients... working on a football club at the moment - more on that as it develops :)

But I'm texturing the thing, and the textures are blurring together to make something that I didn't texture when I made it in the first place... as you see from the attached file, Ignore the crapness, it's only 4 hours into it... but the brick and shingle textures are both high-ish res and have lots of detail, but in render it mashes the pixels together and makes it smooth and undetailed... any ideas why?

Cheers,

Zyk

Zyk0tiK 08-12-2004 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
examples of actual texture detail -

Zyk0tiK 08-12-2004 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hmmm.... HDRI made it look quite a bit nicer...
but it's still not quite right... it looks a bit wrong somehow...

Alan 08-12-2004 12:20 PM

it's probably because it's repeating loads, try a bigger texture map. I'd be going for at least a 2k map on this possibly 4k. Do all of you repeating in the texture and then use photoshop to make the repeat not so obvious.

Try that
Alan

Zyk0tiK 08-12-2004 01:59 PM

naw it can't be cos it's repeating... look at it... the textures are that quality, they have loads of detail, but on the render it mashes them together and just makes it a sorta block of colour... that's not how the thing is :(

Mantat 08-12-2004 02:14 PM

I had a similar problem when I tried to texture my sewer complex. I used texture from the 3DTotal CD series which are all hi-res as yours and I got weird results: up close the texture was fine but the part were the wall was away from me the texture look cheap and low details. Unfortunatly, I never figured the problem, but I would be very interested in a solution for it!

Just for a test, try to do a render from up close and with the same render param, from about 5-10m away. I am sure that the upclose image will be full quality.

mtmckinley 08-12-2004 02:20 PM

Turn off the Multi-pixel Filter check in the anti-alias settings.

Zyk0tiK 08-12-2004 03:26 PM

i already tried that... :(

mtmckinley 08-12-2004 03:33 PM

are they square textures? Not sure if it would make a difference, but Maya and most 3D apps tend to prefer square (or rectangular), powers of 2 textures.

Zyk0tiK 08-12-2004 03:51 PM

naw not square or power of 2 textures... sure that'd make any difference at all though?

mtmckinley 08-12-2004 04:05 PM

no... wouldn't hurt to try, though.

Zyk0tiK 08-12-2004 04:25 PM

heh :P

I tell you, HDRI takes way too long... been going for about an hour now and still not done :/ stupid slow computer at work :/ giving me maya on a 1.4GHz P3 with 256 meg of ram :P

It's struggling like hell with textures... can't get anything done unless in wireframe, and it still struggles then!

Dann 08-12-2004 06:47 PM

What if you tried changing the Filter Type on the texture file node. I would try MipMap or even turning it off. Sometimes off with a prefilter of 1 can give nice sharp textures.

Alan 09-12-2004 09:52 AM

it takes an hour to render that!? dude check your render settings it should not be taking that long! as mike said about the textures it will make a difference if they ar enot power of two. It's always best to do power of two, especially when repeating a texture.
Alan

ZykotiK 10-12-2004 04:30 PM

Yeah but it's not JUST that, the actual thing is like 1024 size, and I'm using Mental Ray with Final Gather stuff going on, with HDRI lighting aswell...