Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Photogrammetry WIP (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8845)

carrot juice 08-11-2003 01:19 AM

Photogrammetry WIP

1 Attachment(s)
What with school going nuts, I've started a project that I will actually be able to work on in little snippets of time and thus be a ble to finish. It uses the same techniques used in the Burly Brawl (photo projection) except that the photos are from many different sources. I will use it to do bullet time and such for a personal short.

carrot juice 08-11-2003 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another view, nearly opposite

fredriksson 08-11-2003 01:28 AM

Don't really get what technique that is. And please use jpegs for images, so people don't have to download the (very large) bmps.

carrot juice 08-11-2003 02:03 AM

Sorry!

carrot juice 08-11-2003 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update, added some stuff and tweaked textures

Fredrikkson: they take photos of objects and project them onto super- simple geometry. not much of an art, but it gets the job done more quickly, easily, and photorealistically than any previous method. the thing is, in The Matrix they actually used the photographs to measure the objects and perfectly recreate the scene, whereas I just took photos from free texture sites and compiled them here.

fredriksson 09-11-2003 02:28 AM

Um, so thats like texture mapping simple geometry.

ragecgi 09-11-2003 06:05 AM

Yup, but in these cases, the location is purely digital, and freeform, thus allowing any angle, time period, and motion previously unheardof before 1998-1999.

SUPER-high detail is not needed in most cases, as the background is mostly out of focus, so the remaining issue would only be forground action match-lighting.

However that problem is solved by the use of this same environ as the HDRI sequence, reverse-mapped, or lit onto the focused action.

The benefits are low-overhead in terms of production costs, plus a bonus of a readily available, affordable, customizable location for day or night shots.

So, as long as your live action is tracked in some way to give you acurate-enough camera motion data, or even not-so-acurate, that data can then be applied to a camera inside this environment, and you've got a SUPER-CHEAP, SUPER-FAST rendering, variably-detailed, freeform background plate automaticly.

Even though I LOVE photogrammetry, I still miss the "crafty".

("crafty" is short for location craft-services.
, i.e, the free food truck:) hehe...

Great job Carrot, can't wait to see this bg in action bud!

carrot juice 09-11-2003 10:27 PM

thanks! will post more shots as I build it up.

Fredrikkson- yes, that's exactly what it is. Like I said, it's not really 3d as an art but rather a quick and easy way to get photorealism without nearly as much work as traditional cg requires. For most uses, traditional cg is much better- it is more expressive and can create anything you can imagine. But if your objective is complete realism in a today-setting (for easy photography) then photogrammetry is a good method to use.

carrot juice 10-11-2003 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
added some junk + a dumpster..
sorry this is taking so long but I only have little snippets of time

carrot juice 11-11-2003 03:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A relighting ro meet changed requirements... going for that "crisp dawn" feel

ragecgi 11-11-2003 03:37 AM

Rock on m8!

Nice grading!

dave_baer 14-11-2003 01:50 AM

looking good. :D

carrot juice 18-11-2003 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK FINALLY another update... I think I'm almost done with the scene (read: time to start the frustrating tweaking phase). I gave the truck some wheels and a better texture, and added a bunch of metal poles and details and paper trash to the courtyard.

carrot juice 18-11-2003 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another view

carrot juice 18-11-2003 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
for comparison to the first relight image