Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SWATCHES :( (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35298)

vicks0 16-03-2011 01:22 PM

SWATCHES :(

Hi.... I' ve downloaded a tutorial but there was no swatches file for the images. I' m a newbie (this is my second model) and I don't know how to create swatches. Can you please please help me?

I tried to figure out how to do it using hypershade, but I just can' t get it right.
:help:

Without the swatches file I cannot load my jpegs on my scene...... snif...snof

HEEEEEEELPPPPPPP.......:cry:

David 16-03-2011 01:33 PM

Hi,

Everything you need is in part0. You do not need the swatches, just the jpeg image planes.

David

TerryG 16-03-2011 01:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Click, here, here and here, load jpgs to material.

Cheers
Terry

vicks0 16-03-2011 05:49 PM

Hi, my problem is that when I try to assign the jpeg on the lambert in hypershade,
an output window appears telling me there is an error and cannot load image.

This does not happen when I load images from the first tutorial I downloaded (the victorian house),
where there is a swatches file in the zero folder. That's why I thought the swatches were the problem. :mstickle:

But I was wrong......:D

This is the what the output window gives me:
mental ray for Maya 2010
ERROR, C:/Users/vicks/Desktop/New Folder/Builiding_Xray_top961x769.jpg: programming error; please fix

Do you know how can I fix it? :inlove:

TerryG 17-03-2011 01:03 AM

In hypershade, you have 1 Lambert, then click on File and load jpg. Now middle mouse click on File and drag onto Lambert. Your cursor turns to a little white fist, a drop down menu appears before you release the mouse button. Scroll down to colour.

Hope that helps

Terry

Chirone 17-03-2011 02:55 AM

vicks0: i've never seen that error, but I googled your error (obviously taking out the file path).
have you tried saving it out as a different file format? like png or tga?
this guy says that's what he did when he tried a jpg texture
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/.../t-687756.html

TerryG: it looks like you're modifying the default lambert shader. If you are then you should stop doing that. Remember that all new objects have that shader applied to it. If you want to put a different shader on then you should select Assign New Material...

bullet1968 17-03-2011 05:13 AM

Chirone is correct Terry...create a new lambert...name it accordingly (front_ref) or similar. See what size the image is...just in case..I find if they are bigger tahn a meg Maya doesnt like it. Otherwise as Chirone said..open the file and save as a tiff or something else...that usually works. As Terry has shown (NEW LAMBERT!!) do it his way....there may also be a glitch in hypershade...

cheers bullet

TerryG 17-03-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullet1968 (Post 316233)
Chirone is correct Terry...create a new lambert...name it accordingly (front_ref) or similar. See what size the image is...just in case..I find if they are bigger tahn a meg Maya doesnt like it. Otherwise as Chirone said..open the file and save as a tiff or something else...that usually works. As Terry has shown (NEW LAMBERT!!) do it his way....there may also be a glitch in hypershade...

cheers bullet

Actually I do click on a new Lambert first, but thanks for pointing it out anyway. :)

vicks0 17-03-2011 11:20 AM

Thank you so so much!!!!!:bounce:

I checked the image size, it was ok. So I saved the jpeg into tiff, just as Chirone suggested.
I did what TerryG showed and it worked..... :happy: :playfull:

I' m so happy now... thanks thanks thanks!!!!

Ciao Ciao!!! :giggle:
Vicky

TerryG 17-03-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicks0 (Post 316241)
Thank you so so much!!!!!:bounce:

I checked the image size, it was ok. So I saved the jpeg into tiff, just as Chirone suggested.
I did what TerryG showed and it worked..... :happy: :playfull:

I' m so happy now... thanks thanks thanks!!!!

Ciao Ciao!!! :giggle:
Vicky

Glad I could help Vicky. From one newbie to another. :)