Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Melting (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4683)

Nem 21-03-2003 11:38 PM

Melting

how would i model two objects melting into each other? never tried anything like this before

alexgc 22-03-2003 01:04 AM

I guess one way to do this is with blendshapes with one object appearing to be "melting" into another. Or there are lattices. Actually i think there is a melting tutorial on the Alias-Wavefront website...I'll root around and see if i can find it. Im not sure how u could literally get two objects to melt into one object...Its a tricky one :D

Nem 22-03-2003 01:07 AM

it only needs to look like theyre melting into each other :)
well, the exact effect im lookin for is when, like you take 2 blocks of cheese, heat them up a bit so its sticky, stick the 2 blocks together, then after a few seconds pull it apart and ur left with this strandy stuff in the middle connectin the two

alexgc 22-03-2003 01:08 AM

ahh I found it...here u go...works pretty damn well from what I remember...

melting tutorial

alexgc 22-03-2003 01:11 AM

I see what u mean...this tut is actually more for a puddle than a sticky goo lol

I guess blendshapes would be ur best bet for what ur trying to achieve. Have you used them before??

Nem 22-03-2003 01:13 AM

no, i have never used blendshapes before, but i understand how it works, kinda
i dont understand how it can help me in this situation tho

alexgc 22-03-2003 01:31 AM

okay well basically with blendshapes, you are creating targets, which is simply ur model in different states i.e. before it melts, when it becomes gooey, when it is stretched apart - these are targets. In using blendshapes, Maya automatically calculates all the inbetween movements so u dont have to. The best example for all these as u can imagine is in facial animation. If u can understand how, with blendshapes, u can make ur character smile, all u need to do is apply the same principles to ur needs.

What ud have to do is take ur model as it is, duplicate it several times, and then adjust each model accordingly.

I hope this helps. Im a bit tired now so i may not be making this as clear as i could lol

I tell u what, I'll knock up a file for u giving an small example

mtmckinley 22-03-2003 01:39 AM

I would think you would need to "manually" create this effect... I don't think there is an easy way to somehow dynamically calculate the "gooey strands" effect.

The first solution that comes to mind to try would be to create blend shapes for the main block softening. Then, create the "gooey strands" out of geometry that is hidden. When you animate the two cheese blocks pressing into each other, key the visibility of the gooey strands on while the two blocks are hiding them from view and animate them stretching between the two main blocks as they are spread apart, using lattices, bones, or whatever.

That's the first thing that comes to mind, anyway.

Nem 22-03-2003 01:48 AM

hehe i think im confusing everyone with cheese, never thought id ever say that but hey

i only used cheese as an example, this isnt going to be an animation, just an image of 2 hearts pulling away from each other, but cant because theyre stuck together like the cheese would be

would this change anything?

alexgc 22-03-2003 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
spot on Mike, i was just thinking that. Here u go Nem here is a basic blendshapes example i have...its just a basic bird in flight - nothing special but it (hopefully) kinda gives u an idea of how u can set targets

In this case the targets are wings in an upward motion and wings in a downward motion...hope it helps u out :)

Fiddle about with the sliders and u will see what i mean. Good luck!

btw u might wanna press play on the timline to get the bird into view first lol And if u goto display>show all you can see the targets i made...

Nem 22-03-2003 07:16 PM

hehehe so much fun playing with that thing! thanks alexgc :)
well i dont think blendshapes would suit this "project" because theres no need for animation

what im stuck on is creating strands of gooey stuff, any tips on how to do that? i just create a tube from a curve (using a mel script) but they just look like tubes, they dont look like strands of gooey stuff :(

alexgc 22-03-2003 08:24 PM

Sorry mate, I assumed that u wanted to do an animation. My bad :rolleyes:

Ok well in that case u will have to model it. Tubes would probably be the best way, depending on the style ur after. I guess all u need to do is pay attention to the way the strands shape. So at the beginning of the extrusion, they are quite wide but as u get to the middle they get thinner and start to hang a little...I know it's difficult but u should see if u can find some references...Come to think of it, in The Matrix, Neo finds that his mouth has suddenly clamped shut and when he struggles to open it, the skin stretches and u can see the strands - kinda like what i think u are after. I have the DVD here so I'll post a still of it for u later...Got a few things to do first :)