Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   assassin robot (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16961)

gohan1842 07-06-2005 08:43 PM

assassin robot

1 Attachment(s)
started on a robot that was in my head. this is about an hours work. i plan on animating this one.

Shadeblade 07-06-2005 08:45 PM

Whoa! That's awesome! I can't wait to see him in action! Hehe, like I ask everyone, what did you use to model this guy? Polys?

gohan1842 07-06-2005 08:57 PM

polys. all of it is cubes except for the cylinder joints and sphere base

alienscience 08-06-2005 11:24 AM

WHOA, polys? Maybe I need to learn how to model in polys with high counts. Im so used to like having a cube for an arm and then spheres that look more like a triangle that an actual sphere. Good job, did you convert at all, or did you just make love with the subdivide and smooth button. Cant wait to see some progress.

Good Job, :beer:
-Ryan

gohan1842 08-06-2005 01:54 PM

no conversions alienscience. u pretty much got it right. i smoothed the mesh twice for the legs. it gives it that sleek design.

gohan1842 08-06-2005 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
made some changes to the feet. for the better or worse?

gohan1842 08-06-2005 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
did a quick test rig.

gohan1842 08-06-2005 07:21 PM

i got to looking and i dont really like the toes. im going to try and make the toes more "claw" like.

edit : unless u all like the toes then ill keep.

alienscience 08-06-2005 08:06 PM

Well, seeing as how it would be an assasin robot, I would think they would be more sleek and claw like. But personally, I like the toes on their alot as they are, but I guess you have to make a decision on wheter or not you want it to look like an assasin or just what looks good to you. Tough choice I guess.

gohan1842 08-06-2005 08:08 PM

ur right. ill hold up to its name and give them the claw style.

scopa 08-06-2005 08:56 PM

I think it needs more crisp edges. I see you are going for a smooth look, but the toes are "kindda" hard edge... but not really. The effect is that they look like clay.

alienscience 08-06-2005 11:20 PM

Scopa: Well I am sure that part of that is from him just screen capturing his model straight from his interface. This actually isnt a render, so this is just a snapshot of what he is working with. Also, he has not textured yet (Im not really sure if he is going to, because I have heard that you should always texture before rigging, but whateva, gohan is a big boy that is very skilled with maya, I am sure he knows what he is doing). So Maya just assigns the geometry its normal lambert shader. So just take all that in mind.

Gohan: Cool, cant wait. Quick question though, what kind of assasin robot will it be? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but what exactly will it be capable of and will it favor one method over the other? Like sniping, short range shotgun to the face (painting walls as I like to call it), demolitions, melee, etc.? Just curious, but cant wait to see more.

gohan1842 08-06-2005 11:47 PM

Scopa
That's what I was looking at and realised the same thing, which is why i am changing it. I think I know that you meant the toes in particular looked more like clay than the legs and stuff.

Alienscience
Well. Those are great ideas so it will be capable of all those things lol. For those of you who have seen that one movie that I think is called "The Red Planet", the robot called Amy in it is kind of the assassin robot I'm going for.

I have a question. Do you all think I should keep it as less cluttered as possible (like do not have many things modeled on the robot like weapons, etc.) or go ahead and make the weapons, etc. but just in a sleek way?

alienscience 08-06-2005 11:56 PM

Well, I would suggest maybe hiding the weapons inside the body. Since it obviously is a next gen robot, I think you dont have to many limitations. But I would suggest keeping it realistic, not like a cartoon willy(?) coyote and pulling like frickin 5 guns out of his pocket. But more like having a small compact gun that is accurate to long distances but still very powerfull (sniper rifle), and then a close range short gun used for.......short range combat. I cant really think of anything to use for the melee weapons though. But maybe you can come up with some good stuff, you apparently have with this model :beer:.

gohan1842 09-06-2005 12:01 AM

Thanks for the comment, and I had thought of putting a lot of the stuff inside the base of the robot and have them come out of the bottom. I will also add helicopter blades that come out of the top. I'm not so sure about what to put on the legs yet. As for the melee weapons... let's see. All I can think of is just the legs lol.