Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   "add divisions" doesn't work on face (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31272)

rudeboymcc 01-11-2008 01:21 PM

"add divisions" doesn't work on face

1 Attachment(s)
Hi. I'm trying to add some horizontal and vertical edges to a face but when i click on the face and click "add devisions" set to linear 4 10, it doesn't do anything.

when i try exponential i get the pic below but that's not what i want at all.

I'd love to start over but i want to know what this problm is so if it happens when i 'm further than a cube i can fix it myself.

Ajmooch 01-11-2008 04:54 PM

If your add divisions tool isn't working then you can just use the cut poly or add edge loop tools, those will work just as easily.

Chirone 02-11-2008 11:51 AM

wow, i've never even heard of "Add divisions"...

ajmooch is right, just use cut face, split polygon, or inserte edge loop, whichever tickles your fancy better

if you haven't altered any verticies or added edges since the creation of the cube you can up the subdivisions used in the cube in it's history nodes in the channel box

rudeboymcc 02-11-2008 01:21 PM

all those tools cause the same problem. The only reason i want to create this edge is to draw a curve exactly on it so it's straight (and don't want to do it manually).

is there any other functiont hat just draws "indicators" ? (like a straight line which isn't actually an edge, just like a ruler)

oldhippie_tom 02-11-2008 02:39 PM

rudeboymcc, what comes to mind if you just want a straight line as reference how about drawing a Spline and if you hold down the Shift Key while drawing it that makes it nice and straight. But I may be missing what you are trying to do.

rudeboymcc 02-11-2008 08:07 PM

sorry but can't find this option. where is it? the Maya help file says it's for nurbs and all my objects are polygons :(

oldhippie_tom 03-11-2008 12:39 AM

It is a Nurbs Spline. I was under the impression all you wanted was a ruler or a straight line as reference and not to use in the modeling. Guess I misunderstood.

rudeboymcc 03-11-2008 01:36 AM

you got it right, that;s wht i want. but can i add a nurbs spline to a polygon?

Chirone 03-11-2008 01:57 AM

no but you want a straight line for reference and not to actually affect your model right?
so whats wrong with making a new piece of geometry?
is there a reason why you can't create more objects?

rudeboymcc 03-11-2008 09:50 AM

the reason i was using divisions is because it guarantees a straight line. whereas if i make a new object i have to draw it myself and have to manually check the numbers on every corner.

Chirone 03-11-2008 10:03 AM

if you want a straight line for reference couldn't you just resize a plane?

you're aware of the snapping options right?

btw, whats the reference line for?

(hope i'm not coming across as rude >.<)

rudeboymcc 03-11-2008 10:28 AM

yep i know about snapping. The referenec lines are for the bay window i'm making for the house above. it's just going to be one trapezium extruded down the height of the house.

and i need loads of lines across it for windows, window sills, and all the carvings and cornises to line up. but i'm drawing from a picture in teh image plane and i need to get it as accurate as possible (hence i can't use snapping, i need to be able to drag it).