Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Cobra Throne (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11179)

NightPhantom 28-03-2004 06:54 AM

Cobra Throne

1 Attachment(s)
I have started a project for a class and I thought I would post it here and get the benefit of your c & c. I've had this project for a couple of weeks, but always a procrastinator I left it for the last minute (I never learn...) so now I have little more than a week to finish.
As the subject of the thread sugests, I am modeling a throne. This particular throne has a snake theme, because it's supposed to be the throne of Cobra Commander (the leader of Cobra, from G.I. Joe, the cartoon not the script :p )
Well, I made a little cobra statuete which will be duplicated and the placed on both sides of the throne. I know that the scales have a clear pattern, that's because I used the "Cloth" texture that you find under "2D textures" in the hypershade changing the options to make it look like a scale and then reapeating the texture over the surface (about 30 times). But this is not supposed to be a real snake, so I think there should be a pattern there.
Well, anyways.. here it is.

NightPhantom 28-03-2004 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the seat with the previous snake already in place.

NightPhantom 28-03-2004 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the same thing I had in the previous picture, except from the front, the final picture will be from the same angle (or close to that). I drew that orange thing in the to ilustrate my idea for the next part (I know the drawing sucks.....). Well, I was thinking of having the big snake in the back of the seat (with open mouth, fangs, and wider hood than the little ones).
But on the other hand I could have a normal back (maybe with some pads or something to add detail) and then behind it big flag hanging from the wall witht eh cobra logo (the red one) on it. So then I'm between the big cobra flag or the big cobra statue... Any opinions on the matter?

dragonsfire 28-03-2004 03:12 PM

Looks nice, can you do a back perspective as well?

MainlineX 28-03-2004 07:54 PM

Coming along nicely! Keep it up!

NightPhantom 28-03-2004 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonsfire
Looks nice, can you do a back perspective as well?
Well... there is nothing in the back... unless you mean only the snake, I imagine you want to see the decoration of the hood, but well... like I said, it's not supposed to look real, so behind the hood you have more of the same pattern, that's also because the seat is attached to them in the back, so you wouldn't see anything even if you moved the camera behind (I figured why bother texturing that when it's out of view, right?

dragonsfire 29-03-2004 12:26 AM

Just wondering if you had the hood flat or rounded.

NightPhantom 29-03-2004 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, well, in that case then I think the top view will be better. It is concave as you can see here. I was looking at pictures of real cobras when modeling that, I didn't wanted to make something disproportional.

NightPhantom 31-03-2004 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to go for the big snake in the back. I think that right now the throne is finished. I say I "think" because I would like to know what you guys think before I close the file. So bring it on! I want to hear that c & c.
Well, now (if the throne is really finished) I'm going to get to work on the guy that will be sitting there; Cobra commander. I have until next Tuesday to model and pose :Paranoid: I can't waste any time.

Zyk0tiK 31-03-2004 07:52 AM

well, i certainly like it :D!

dragonsfire 31-03-2004 03:18 PM

very Nice ! :)
I believe real fangs are curled a bit. (will also prevent the guy/gal from getting their skull puctured.:)

NightPhantom 31-03-2004 04:12 PM

The fangs are curled, well, I guess I'll curl them a little more. Lol, you are right about getting their skull punctured :p I didn't thought of that. I guess if you are careful you can be safe, but if you get up to quickly........ :p

ctbram 01-04-2004 09:08 AM

haha. I can see an animation where the tyrant/despot/head honcho gets up in anger to have someone smited and give himself/herself a lobotomy!

Neat looking chair. Don't think it will pass comsumer safety laws in most countries though. :grin:

"OFF WITH HIS HEA......Skkkewwwwer....ack...thud. Darn! We lose more despots that way!"

Or maybe a little thing with a guy staning straight up and bonking his head and sticking the fangs in his shoulders. :grin:

The seat really does look neat though and I could see it in a temple or temple ruins setting very nicely. Good job.

NightPhantom 07-04-2004 04:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I'm not very good at documenting my WIP. The project was due today and so it's finished. The reason why I didn't document it is because I was super busy working on it during the week end. In the end I ended up changing my mind about the theme and I droped Cobra Commander out of the scene (and that's what I spent all my weekend working on...... :tired: )

Instead I thought it would be funny to follow the idea with the "fang-head colision".
So to describe what is going on in the scene, Cobra Commander was sitting in his throne drinking his morning chocolate and reading the newspaper. But then he saw the head lines (bad news for Cobra, good news for GIJoe). Infuriated he quickly stood up in protest completely forgeting the fang that impaled him in the head or showlder. Needless to say it got pretty messy and he had to be rushed to the E.R.

Here is the wireframe (this thread is under WIP after all)

NightPhantom 07-04-2004 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And this is the final picture rendered at 600x800. Am I supposed to post this under finished work too? I guess not since it's already here... oh well...

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.