Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   deformers/proxy? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34674)

se7enhedd 29-11-2010 02:15 PM

deformers/proxy?

hi,

i'm trying to make a car grill. a basic shape. I was hoping to create a 'squared' version and then curve the whole thing - but how do i do this?
I've tried applying a proxy, but i just get a copy of the whole thing next to the original..(?).. and as i understand it, deformers are mainly for animation...

honestdom 29-11-2010 02:42 PM

a lattice

se7enhedd 29-11-2010 04:13 PM

well ive managed to apply a lattice - but it just seems like moving vertices.
i could do with a little more idea of how to produce gentle curves

Nilla 29-11-2010 05:30 PM

With the risk of getting shot amongst all the great modelers on this forum, because I'm not sure if it would work on the geometry you have there, but have you tried the bend deformer?

I can't stand modeling so when I'm forced to build something I do everything in my power to avoid moving vertices, and the bend deformer is a really nifty thing for creating smooth curved shapes on high resolution geometry(you do need an awful lot of extra edges most of the time) and bending legs on chairs, pipes and things like that. As well you can rotate and move it and apply multiple deformers, and as long as you don't delete the history it stays where it is so you can edit things later if your bend is too sharp. I've become so obsessed with it that when I model something it's more about incorporating as many bend deformers as I possibly can than actually building the object:)

Nilla

gubar 29-11-2010 05:37 PM

Once you've applied the bend deformer, add a little bend to see the effect upon the model, then rotate the deformer so you get the curvature along the axis you want.

daverave 29-11-2010 06:12 PM

I think in this case a lattic would be better, if the item was a sweeping curve then yes use the bend deformer would work, the tricky thing in using a lattic is how meny divisions to create in this case I would start with say 5 along 3 up and 2 back. Hope this makes sence............dave

gubar 29-11-2010 07:28 PM

I thought perhaps the op was going for a simplified version, in which case a bend may be enough - if not more work will be required for sure.

Jay 29-11-2010 07:48 PM

Use a bend deformer, but apply the values a little at a time on the curvature.

The latttice is a good way of doing it too, you do get less lattice points to pull overall.

Generally the difference between the two will be the sides of the model - with the bend deformer the sides of the model will follow in an arc manner creating an angle but with the lattice the sides will stay parallel until you rotate them manually.

As with everything in Maya there is no right and wrong way to do stuff, its just a matter of application and preference.

Both the lattice and bend deformers can be used in Animation, but obviously in a different manner from each other

hope that helps

Jay

se7enhedd 29-11-2010 10:18 PM

ok. nice to see i have a few people to help me here...

I've tried both the lattice and bend - and this is what i'm getting.

prior to this I selected the entire grill and clicked mesh>combine. which i assume it to be treated as a single object (?)

Jay 29-11-2010 10:41 PM

The geometry needs to have a few subdivisions in it to get good results, but dont over do it though.

Also the bend deformer can be rotated in X,Y,Z too if need be before actually applying any values

cheers
Jay

se7enhedd 02-12-2010 09:38 AM

thanks. i got this far --

but now i'm trying to create another bend to flex it along the length. I can't seem to do it.

can you have more than one bend deformer??

bullet1968 02-12-2010 10:34 AM

Yeh mate...you can have multiple...I just tried it and it worked...or select the object and delete history...and do again.