Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   March Challenge - Environment - elephantinc (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35218)

elephantinc 02-03-2011 08:48 PM

March Challenge - Environment - elephantinc

1 Attachment(s)
I doubt I'll finish but stranger things have happened...

Chirone 02-03-2011 09:05 PM

it would be strange if you actually completed stuff and then didn't complete this... :P

i see you have a face on the scoreboard there

stwert 02-03-2011 10:11 PM

It would be strange if it didn't pertain to elephants. ;)

David 03-03-2011 10:01 PM

I swear, if you win I'm changing the prize to the art of Elephants:D

Best of luck.
Dave

elephantinc 03-03-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 315488)
I swear, if you win I'm changing the prize to the art of Elephants:D

Best of luck.
Dave

Wait, art of elephants?!
Does this exist? If so why did nobody tell me?! :P

Lion`I 04-03-2011 04:58 AM

im keeping my eye on this, Keep up the good work Elephant :)

ColdWave 04-03-2011 09:48 PM

Pls make a zoo :D / with elephants /

bullet1968 04-03-2011 09:53 PM

If I dont see an elephant now....I will be emotionally crushed and my lofty view of you and your pachyderm love will be forever tarnished...because I would think it was all just a figment of my imagination. LOL

Good luck mate

elephantinc 04-03-2011 10:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I filled in the face, I modelled the lights off fairground rides, just because I like fairground rides.
Don't worry, it will be populated with elephants soon enough.

A zoo's tempting but I think I'd rather make one in the wild....

daverave 04-03-2011 11:09 PM

Gladiator elephants yes I could watch that..........LOL......dave

elephantinc 07-03-2011 12:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made floodlights. Took much longer that it should have because I even modelled the inside of the LEDs (which I then had to delete as it was too taxing). I'll probably have to delete all the LEDs and just use a texture or something.
Is there a way to hide objects but then display them automatically at render time?
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the environment. I thought about a modern stadium, a roman colosseum, a cave, in the middle of an ocean or maybe just floating in the sky. Any thoughts?

Perfecto 07-03-2011 01:15 AM

Looking really good so far.

Chirone 07-03-2011 05:02 AM

A modern stadium would be ok... but I think they are probably generally quite boring to look at, and elephants fighting kind of seems like it needs something more. (based on what I saw when I google image searched 'stadium' there weren't many interesting looking things. they were mostly standard and boring)

A Roman Colosseum wouldn't suit elephants unless they were standing up like your indiana jones elephant but in roman armour

A cave could possibly work, but why a giant arena is in a cave for I don't know. Unless you plan on digging out the cave to look like a modern stadium or something it kind of seems like an underground scene where elephants illegally fight each other

When you say sky I imagine the Skyworld level in smash brothers brawl and the elephants would fall to their doom when they fall off...

elephantinc 07-03-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chirone (Post 315729)
A modern stadium would be ok... but I think they are probably generally quite boring to look at, and elephants fighting kind of seems like it needs something more. (based on what I saw when I google image searched 'stadium' there weren't many interesting looking things. they were mostly standard and boring)

A Roman Colosseum wouldn't suit elephants unless they were standing up like your indiana jones elephant but in roman armour

A cave could possibly work, but why a giant arena is in a cave for I don't know. Unless you plan on digging out the cave to look like a modern stadium or something it kind of seems like an underground scene where elephants illegally fight each other

When you say sky I imagine the Skyworld level in smash brothers brawl and the elephants would fall to their doom when they fall off...

I think I'd agree with the modern stadium, I definitely want to do something more original, I just don't know what.

Elephants did fight in the roman colosseums for a while but they stopped it because people didn't like seeing the elephants get hurt (that and the fact that they were pitted against 100+ people, so I'm guessing the supply ran out).

If we start questioning why this is happening it all falls apart. Why would elephants build an arena anyway? :P

Point taken about the sky...that would be a very bad thing...

That takes me back to square one. I know I want it to be quite dark, with the focus being on the (lit) arena; but that could be achieved just by setting it at night where ever it is...

Maybe in a canyon/desert or ocean....

Chirone 07-03-2011 08:02 PM

make it raining at night as well :D
unless it's a happy dark that you're after.