Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   low poly soldier (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28356)

anasasis 02-12-2007 04:51 PM

low poly soldier

1 Attachment(s)
alrighty if any of you guys saw my low poly snowboarder this is working off what i learnt from him a cleaner topology and some small added extra details i have also learnt to stick away from cluttering up geometry. so tell me what you think c & c always welcome still gotta texture hands and create a head lol he will also have a rifle.

djknucklez1 03-12-2007 04:49 AM

Looking great. The texture is awesome! one suggestion though. Try to round off the character around the body. It looks a bit square still. You might want to add more geometry around the shoulder area for proper deformation when you animate it. You're getting better!

anasasis 03-12-2007 11:03 AM

once again djknucklez1 youre help has been priceless cheers for everything and ill have a new post in a day or two
thanks again

Mayaniac 03-12-2007 05:19 PM

Hmm, somethings missing.... i can't quite pin it.

Looking very good, and a great improvement on the last.

The texturing is good, but the modeling looks a bit weird here ans there. Such as, the pelvis/ crotch area/ region seems oddly shaped, and like mentioned above, it could use some rounding off.

Very good work.

anasasis 04-12-2007 09:55 AM

thanks heaps Mayaniac i will start to smooth the body off and that will work its way down into the crutch area and i will see how it looks after that thanks for the feedback and will re-post images soon

Funky Bunnies 04-12-2007 10:42 AM

Pretty good so far, man. Not too much to say about the form yet, the biggest thing I'd mention is geometry layout.
I agree with the above. For the crotch, I'd try and avoid having the legs meet each other like that. It'll work much nicer to give a couple quads padding for the groin. For the arms, I think you've overdone the 3-loop joints thing. Check out this limb deformation gif.
I'd spread the loops out a bit and knock out part of the middle loop on the inside.
Also, to make your life easier, I'd make the kneepads and straps part of the same geometry as the pants. At least the straps, because they don't do anything to alter the silhouette and will just mess with your deformations. If you're doing the same thing for the belt I'd knock that geo out too and just put it in the texture. As long as you paint your weights right it'll look the same and take fewer polys.

keep it coming, man :)

anasasis 04-12-2007 11:42 AM

thanks Funky Bunnies about that deformation stuff i will definately try to incorporate that into my model and also that croutch does need work and ill get around to cheers mate thanks for all the help

anasasis 07-12-2007 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hye guys sorry ive been a bit busy and havnt had much time to work on him but ive started looking at the deformation of the elbow join and also increased the geometry around the shoulders the body ive rounded off a little and the croutch im still working on, any tips always welcome

Mayaniac 07-12-2007 03:01 AM

The lower half is looking allot better, but now the top half looks... well vacant. It appears as if the shirt has simply been hung on a Cloth Hanger. Where as the Legs/Pelvis/Crotch area, look as if someone is actually wearing the cloths.
Try rounding out the Chest. The human chest inst flat like most people presume. It's actually very Barrel shaped from an side view. Also remember this is a soldier and will most likely be a Buff Guy.

Also the top half needs to be scaled up a bit, just to even out the proportions.

The hands seem weird... maybe try adding some more devisions to round out the Thumb.

Anyhow, the textures are great! You just need to spend a bit more time tweaking you mesh.

Also do you use any reference images?

Anyway, Nice work :beer:

anasasis 08-12-2007 03:20 AM

thanks for that ill will start to fix up the top half of his torso ive been using pretty much handrawn reference planes and then reference images just off the net so at the moment thats all i have to go off and a few human anatomy pics