Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   using layers - just how? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34898)

se7enhedd 01-01-2011 05:56 PM

using layers - just how?

I've tried creating a few simple layers in maya2011x64 (student) on snow leopard 10.6.5 - the layers palette just doesn't seem to work as it should. Clicking boxes rarely triggers any change, sometimes objects become (in)visible regardless of whether the 'V' shows or not 'T' & 'R' randomly or not until you click off a layer, or change when you click another box??
I know Maya does everything the difficult way, but I just can't follow any logic here.

I've posted a recording to youtube so anyone interested can get a better idea- it's a little funky for the first few seconds, but you'll get the gist. there's no sound but everytime i move to another box I'm clicking it..

YouTube - maya layer bug

ctbram 01-01-2011 06:23 PM

I don't know what to tell you on that. I have never had problems selecting the layer check boxes. I am not aware of any bug in Maya for any version where that happens. I don't use macs so I cannot comment on whether it's an OS issue. I'd report it to Autodesk as a bug and see what they say.

ctbram 01-01-2011 06:27 PM

The first checkbox is either on visible (V) or not visible, off (). The second checkbox has three states - reference (R), template (T), or off (). They should all toggle to the next state on each click.

se7enhedd 01-01-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctbram (Post 312436)
The first checkbox is either on visible (V) or not visible, off (). The second checkbox has three states - reference (R), template (T), or off (). They should all toggle to the next state on each click.

thats as i thought. it's a little better in a brand new scene (the objects change to their correct state, but the checkboxes dont change) there's obviously some bug. I'll have report it.
I could reinstall but in true autodesk fashion, even finding my product key and serial no. was a nightmare.

i'll just put it down to another annoyance it what, frankly, seems a pretty shoddy piece of software, given the price. I've barely scratched the surface and I've had problem after problem. :S

halfloaf 01-01-2011 07:20 PM

Confirmed same problem on my Mac sunning 10.6.5 and Hotfix 3.

Edit: It would seem Service Pack 1 is out...and this issue has apparently been addressed...downloading now to see...1.2GB!!! :(

Jay 01-01-2011 09:28 PM

Just out of interest are you using groups??

Jay

se7enhedd 01-01-2011 09:53 PM

groups??

i'm getting sp1 too -- only 5 hours to go!!

halfloaf 03-01-2011 11:25 AM

SP1 fixes the issue with the layer / channel box buttons.

se7enhedd 03-01-2011 11:32 AM

yes. I thought I'd written that here yesterday...??

Jay 03-01-2011 05:10 PM

yes, object groups. Sometimes when objects are grouped they can have a tendency to mess with layers - so be aware of that even with SP1

Jay

se7enhedd 03-01-2011 05:25 PM

ahh, ok. I tried groups just yesterday.
So it's best just to use either one of the other..

stwert 04-01-2011 11:14 AM

I think it's fine to use both, just be aware that there may be issues if you have objects in the same hierarchy in different layers.