Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Need help with rounded corners (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2494)

NitroLiq 04-12-2002 02:33 AM

Need help with rounded corners

I'm sure this is a basic basic basic thing but it's making me nuts. I'm trying to make the simple shape of a slightly extruded rectangle with rounded corners. I've tried a bunch of different ways...from making a poly cube and and scaling it along the z-axis, then smoothing those faces to creating and connecting curves then making it planar (which I can't extrude) to drawing everything in curves which I can never get to match exactly. Basically, I'm trying to make a rounded rectangle with some depth so I can later do a closed sweep along the edges to give it a groove. If anyone can set me in the right direction, I'd be muchos appreciative.

--pete

tariqrf 04-12-2002 02:40 AM

snap a screenshot... can get the picture in my head!!!

NitroLiq 04-12-2002 02:50 AM

I don't have a way to attach an image (no web space right now). Just think of a rectangle with rounded corners with some depth.

Darkon 04-12-2002 03:11 AM

No, you can attach an image right to your post and it will be hosted on the SM server, use the attach space when you reply to a post :)

Without a peek I'll hazard that you may want to experiment with choosing the outside edges and beveling ;)

Darkon

tariqrf 04-12-2002 03:33 AM

yep, bevelling will do the job, if you dont know how to bevel:
click the edges you want to bevel then click edit polygons, bevel options, adjust the roundness, offset and segment(i recommend 4 or 5 nor more than that)... then click bevel.. whoala the edge is rounded!!!

undseth 04-12-2002 03:47 AM

I'm not sure what you have done, it seems like you have tried both nurbs-modeling and polygon-modeling. But I feel that this will be helpful:

About curves:
Consider using the circle primitive. It's but a circle but pick vertic-pairs and scale them so that they move closer or further away from each other. Alternatively pick the vertice-pair and use the move tool to move them up or down. The point is that you get to keep the symmetry this way.

About attatching curves:
If attatching curves doesn't seem to work (the way you want), then either reverse the curve direction for the appropriate curve. If you right-klick the curve(s) and view the vertices, you will notice that the curve has a small square and a small U shape around the first two vertices on a curve. The small square is the first vertice on the curve, the U is the indicator for which way the curve runs.

About pivot points:
Use the "insert" key on the keyboard to go into "alter pivot-point-position". Useful for accuratly duplicating/mirroring curves around/about a centerpoint (e.g like in the grid center).

About modeling techniques:
There is probably several way to make that board of yours,

Here's what I think:

A (nurbs) (Keep history button on for less work)

1) Tweak a nurbs-circle into a rounded square, pretty easy :)
2) Duplicate it about three-four times and keep a little space between them, with history button on you can loft these and move/tweak the curves while wathcing the lofted shape follow the curves along the tweaking.
3) Scale the outer-most curves a little innwards
4) Loft the curves with "square degree" or linear lofting.
5) For making the front-side-frame duplicate the outer-most curve and scale it innwards.
6) Loft the last two curves.

By now I think you get the idea.

B (polygons)

1) Make a poly-cube-primitive, and duplicate it. Scale the smaller one down but make the depth deeper than the bigger one, because you will pick:
-the big cube and shift klick the small cube and select "Polygon --> Boolean --> Difference" for making an edgy frame.
2) Open Bevel Options under Edit Polygons
3) Set roundness to about 0.3 - 0.5 or something like that
4) Set the radius (important) to a low value. If your cube is 1 meter wide, try 0.1 in radius.
5) Pick the poly-frame and press the apply in the bevel options window, if your results wasn't satisfactory, press Z to undo it and try again.
6) The normals usually get all messed up with the bevel tool, so you have to get them to get along with each other.

EditPolygons --> Normals --> Set to face
And... for soft corners...
EditPolygons --> Normals --> Soften/Hard

7) Make another cube for the screen, you'll have to scale it down to fit it inside your rounded poly-frame.

NitroLiq 04-12-2002 04:08 AM

Ok, I see what you're saying. I beveled the corner edges of a flattened cube so it looks kind of like a 3d movie screen. The problem is trying to do a closed sweep around it. The best way to explain it would be similar to a extruding something based on a profile curve in NURBS, like having a circle and extruding it along a curve to form a tube. In this case, I want to use the outside edges of the poly cube to be the path and a drawn cross-section on top of it to sweep around it. Is this possible or am I going to have to go a different route?

Thanks for the bevel tips, btw and the info on posting inline images. That's good to know.

NitroLiq 04-12-2002 04:24 AM

Thanks for that Undseth. That gives me some more to work with. I never imagined making something so simple would have so many things you'd have to look out for but I guess it's all a part of learning. I just keep wanting to run before I can walk. Thanks again for the help.