Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Human head (yes, another one...) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15309)

blomkaal 03-02-2005 09:23 PM

Human head (yes, another one...)

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got started on my head, and it ain't all bad if I must say so myself... Then again, it's not that much yet either :)

Started out doing the mouth tut at 3dtotal.com and worked my way from there... Not using reference atm, so progress is a bit slow, I think it took me about 1½ to get where I'm at now...

If anyone has any tips on how to go on from here, especially regarding the nose, they're more than welcome!

And now, the pic! I think it more or less speaks for itself, but if you don't agree, let me know and I'll explain it to ya :)

As for what it's for, I'll let you know when I have some more done... :)

Jay 04-02-2005 10:08 PM

Blomkaal

Nice!! But dont forget your reference.

_J

JCUBE 05-02-2005 06:17 PM

I think you can use the same technique for eyes like you used for mouth. I think draw polygon with create polygon tool then extrude the edges with faces together and move them to the right position. For the nose it is not easy to explain but just experiment with split polygon tool and think little bit. I did many tutorials on making the head but never finished any cause I was always stuck. My first head was made without any tut.

blomkaal 06-02-2005 08:23 PM

Jango: Yeah I'll try and get some reference drawn sometime soon... And thanks of course :)

Jcube: Yeah the eyes shouldn't be too much of a problem, and I've got the ear nailed down (just needs a little tweaking) so I guess the nose is the only big hurdle left...

But if anyone has some wires of poly noses that they'd don't mind sharing, please post them (for edgeflow study)

Also, a thought on eyes: I've been considering modeling the eyes shut because, as I see it, you then have all the geometry you need for animating... Any comments?

JCUBE 07-02-2005 12:18 AM

I am not the right one, but I did not saw any head modeled with eyes shut. And for the nose, try to take look at some wires, maybe in this forum ( easy to say :) )

vladimirjp 07-02-2005 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by blomkaal

Also, a thought on eyes: I've been considering modeling the eyes shut because, as I see it, you then have all the geometry you need for animating... Any comments?

no worries modeling the eyes open,
its easier to close the eyes than open them whe u are rigging them.

anita 12-02-2005 10:48 AM

go for it!

blomkaal 12-02-2005 05:29 PM

Thanks alot y'all, been working on some reference, and I think the profile is pretty done, but I'm having quite a bit of trouble with the front view... I'll post something tomorrow...

blomkaal 13-02-2005 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another weekend of getting absolutely nothing done... At least in Maya, but at the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about? :)

I scanned the reference I've drawn and went over it with my tablet to clean it up and get a little pratice, and here's the result. It's now exactly the look I'm aiming for, but I figure I can just tweak the model once it's done...

PS: I haven't got that much drawing experience, so please don't laugh too much :) And if anyone needs some red pen satisfaction, please go ahead and make some suggestions on how to build the head :)

Still having some trouble with the front though :(

blomkaal 16-02-2005 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got some more work done on the model...

Started out doing the eyes and then worked my way down to the nose and got it combined with the mouth and chin... Still working without reference, so this took me somewhere around 3½ hours and it still needs some tweaking...

RubberChicken 16-02-2005 09:29 PM

Looking very nice, keep at it :tup:

mhcannon 17-02-2005 05:10 AM

Can you post the orthographic views (front and side)? At the 3/4 view his eyes look close together and profile appears flat, but that could just be the angle. Pretty good for no reference, but I'd still recommend you keep some handy. Even if you don't use it in the scene its nice to be able to pick up a photo and compare features.

Sav1989 17-02-2005 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, it looks nice, but try to follow the musculature of the face with ur edges; the eye and the mouth are well done, but try to make something this with the nose:

anita 17-02-2005 05:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this what u need to follow..so it flows nicely..

blomkaal 17-02-2005 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the input everyone, I'll try and get the edgeflow right...

MC, here's the orthos. I think the eyes are ok but the entire face definetely needs some tweaking...