Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   New to the community. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20679)

lordliquid 15-03-2006 07:21 PM

New to the community.

Hello all, 3d Graphics and artwork is something I have always been intersted in. Recently I have had the motivation to start animating and modeling. I currently use 3ds max and maya. I found this neat site browsing the web and I really enjoy all the artwork and videos collected here. Alot of talented people here, however I wanted to post to get a few tips. For starters.. I do not draw good at all.. I have never been interested in pen and paper art. Could this hurt me in the long run? :headbang: Secondly I am 20 years old, did I wait to late to get started? And lastly how old were you when you got started and before you started to get the 'feel' for it?

P.S. Would school be a good thing to look into? I have a great programmer friend who I plan to make video games with. If I was to become a good animator I would want to do it as a career.

Thanks,
Robert

pbman 16-03-2006 06:30 PM

ur neva too old if u can learn
also the 'not drawing with pen and paper' in my opinion will hurt u a little as the courses that i have look at prefered u to have an arts based a level or equiv grade
but if u pratice wat u do and get good its still good - however in my opinion if ur gion to focus on animation i dont fell that it will be all that bad but this is just my opinion

gster123 17-03-2006 12:18 AM

Nice to have you here dude, 20 old, no way!!

I'm rubbish with paper based stuff but i suppose I can hold me self (if required), I came from a CAD/WEB background.

mtmckinley 17-03-2006 12:29 AM

Being able to draw is definitely a big plus, but not a huge requirement. My own drawing skills aren't all that great, but passable.

20 isn't too old. I only really got going around 20 myself. Took me a good 2 years to really start to get it right.

School isn't required to get a job in this industry, but having a great portfolio IS. If you feel you need to go to school to learn what you need to make a great portfolio, do it. if you think you can do it on your own, more power to you!

mmoore5553 17-03-2006 03:54 AM

okay mtmckinley

i see you have all the good books but where is the

maya for dummies ...

can i preorder a copy ????

i am actually serious lmao look at thread kurt dog gone mad ..i need a book like that HINT lmao :beer:

lordliquid 17-03-2006 06:38 AM

Thanks for all the useful feedback, I was working with maya today and I did the tutorial on the classic temple. turned out very well and enjoyed it alot. I think this will be a fun experience and I am glad to have a place to rely on for any questions or info.

Thanks guys!

Robert