Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Issues with bevel tool (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31601)

thatsmybrand 22-12-2008 06:15 AM

Issues with bevel tool

Hey Guys

Anyone had problems with using bevel?? Iam modeling a well known building and have been using bevel on specific areas to bring out the detail. However im relatively new to maya and I have found that when using bevel it appears to add vertex to my model. For example after beveling if i select a vertex and display poly count is shows that 2 vertex are there layed ontop of each other, the other problem is i have found it sometimes even adds faces to my model which has caused me to go on a deleting spree sometimes deleting 3 extra faces from my model layed ontop of each other. A huge waste of time :( also caused problems with extrude operations.

Anyone have any thoughts or help with this little problem or maybe even a quick fix?? Will the extra vertex and faces cause problems with my completed model?

Thanks

thatsmybrand 22-12-2008 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I think I was wrong blaming the bevel tool for this problem as
I continued my model when it came to fill in the roof. I encountered another problem which makes me think the source of most of these problems is the "Insert edge loop tool". When trying to select boarder edges to fill in the roof this is how the border edges where selected (see pic). Anyone have any idea what has happened here ??

Thanks for your time Guys !!

- Mike

thatsmybrand 22-12-2008 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys

So i have figured out a solution to both problems above however if anyone knows why they happened please let me know..

Here is the new prob... I have moved on to making the roof for my structure and while adding the geometry to the building split poly has gone crazy and wont allow me to cross the lines i have already layed. this is represented by the red lines in the diagram. I have already checked all the vertex are merged and that there are no more faces added under my other faces, no extra lines and i have also turned on and off snapping and other split poly features with no success. Gah this should be the easiest part !!!

Diagram as below:

Perfecto 22-12-2008 09:11 PM

Sounds like it could be a combination of one or more issues. First, make sure "Keep Faces Together" is turned on. If it's off, then when you extrude, it will add extra faces. I don't know what version of Maya you have but for my version it's under the Edit Polygon Menu at the top of my screen.

Secondly, open up the attributes for you split polygon tool. You can do this by clicking on the little box next to the tool. Then look at the options to figure out how many vertices it's set for.

Lastly, open up the attributes for your insert edge loop tool and check it's options as well.

I'm guessing that the problem is most likely that your "Keep Faces Together" is turned off (unchecked).