Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dango's Doodles (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34572)

Dango77 03-11-2010 12:48 PM

Dango's Doodles

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Just starting this thread to stick random bits and pieces in,
I've got so little time to do anything much 3d wise lately that quick doodles here and there is about all I can manage.
I wish I could have spent a bit more time on the horror challenge, I had what I thought would be a great idea, but in the end 4 short days in 2 months was all I could spare!

Anyhow, been playing about last night and this morning (as I finally have a day spare to have some maya fun!) and inspired by Stwerts alien I realised I hadn't ever tried one, so had a little go at one. Not sure if I'll do any more to him, but here he is for now.

*EDIT*

After reading Daverave's question about changing the thumbnail image of the wip thread on the wip page I thought I'd try out changing it myself, by adding a new one to the first post, deleting the original, then reuploading the original to the same post so as the thread will still make sense. It worked! yay! I just wanted the other picture as it's better really...lol

ben hobden 03-11-2010 03:28 PM

howd you make this Gav?

Dango77 03-11-2010 03:33 PM

Hi Ben,

it's just a base mesh made in Maya, with some sculpting and detailing work in Zbrush.
Nothing too fancy really, and the teeth were from the previous model I did, just reshaped to fit his mouth for time savings sake.
His little beard is just made up of a cylinder deformed with a lattice and then duplicated/repositioned multiple times etc.

I have since decided when I have some more spare time to polypaint him. Just have to see when I can get another day off work! lol

ben hobden 03-11-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dango77
Hi Ben,

it's just a base mesh made in Maya, with some sculpting and detailing work in Zbrush.
Nothing too fancy really, and the teeth were from the previous model I did, just reshaped to fit his mouth for time savings sake.
His little beard is just made up of a cylinder deformed with a lattice and then duplicated/repositioned multiple times etc.

I have since decided when I have some more spare time to polypaint him. Just have to see when I can get another day off work! lol

ah right, yeah, I was a little confused, cause it looks Z-Brushy, but it looks like a Maya render.. ?? Some polypainting and an a couple of extra passes - AO, Key/Spec...will look cool

Dango77 03-11-2010 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers Ben,

I couldn't resist giving him a coat of paint before I go out, wanted to stay away from green, so went for a brown instead, will do some more to him when I get back in tonight I think
Just got to make sure I don't get carried away and end up late for work in the morning due to hours of polypainting shenanigans....lol

ben hobden 03-11-2010 05:33 PM

NICE!!

...It's a constant thorn isnt it, the shackles of the real world!

ben hobden 03-11-2010 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
p.s. Gavin, I dont know if you use the Pixologic libraries of alphas and textures? But I recommend this alpha to you. I use it in just about everything I ever do in ZBrush, especially great for wrinkles, such as at the corners of eyes, or around the armpit, elbows, knees e.t.c.

Unzip and stick it in the alphas folder in the start up folder of your ZBrush program files (proper instructions are at the Pixologic Download Center. )

Or just say thanks, smile and ignore me... ha:)

Dango77 03-11-2010 10:25 PM

Nice one Ben!

I just got in and saw your post, have downloaded it, and will give it a try in awhile, as long as I can keep these shackles off for a few more hours....lol
I very much appreciate it mate!

bullet1968 04-11-2010 12:06 AM

Looks cool Dango...not bads for little time!!! Yes the real world sucks when it comes to time management doesnt it!!

cheers bullet

Dango77 09-11-2010 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers Bullet!

I will finish him off at some point, but as this is a doodle thread, don't want to get tied down to one character for too long.
Started another alien today as I had a couple of hours spare and as I didn't really post much of a wip on the last one, thought I'd post the progress so far before stepping out for a couple of pints.
This time I'm going for a fatter one!

Will carry on a little later once I am refreshed by beverages....

Mayaniac 09-11-2010 06:07 PM

Nice to see some sketchbook style threads around here... I think they're a great thing for any forum.

Nice pieces so far.

Have you ever considered trying to sculpt something from scratch? Without a predefined base mesh? It's great for unplanned creative outbursts... not that I'm saying it's a better way of modeling, having a solid base mesh is very important for the production environment... but it's still good fun if you're just doodling.

bullet1968 09-11-2010 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
aaahhhhhhhhhh beverages...now you have my undivided attention.......dig the doodles man!

cheers bullet

Yeh Steve I agree...I have been doing similar with ships. Basically have a beverage or 3 (jokin) start with just a plane with 4 divs and start just pulling it around to get a concept shape....it tkes the edge off of modelling but can still be creative. Heres one I did Dango...similar concept in just doodling basically..this is a capitol ship...sorta Starblazers in the front.

cheers bullet

Dango77 09-11-2010 10:39 PM

Thanks for the comments Steve and Bullet,

Yeah, I do sometimes start in Z with just a couple of Zspheres, or even just a sphere3d and do some sketching, the first few things I did in Z were exactly that, and I know what you mean by great for creative outbursts!

I will probably add something along those lines in this thread at some point, I think at the moment I've had such a long break from 3d in general I guess I'm going back to the main program I stuck with the longest when I first got into it.
But I am also trying to spend as little time in Maya as possible, and get into Z for some sculpt and polypainting fun as soon as the base mesh is semi ready!

Really I guess I'm not planning anything, be it model, method or an outcome. I don't have the time to do anything planned at the moment, so this is the only way I won't feel daunted by the prospect of trying to get a finished model done.

Hopefully have some more done to this one at some point soon, the beverages took over tonight, one became several, games of pool took place (I won 75% of them thankfully!) and a lengthy walk home have led me to believe I should just pass out whilst watching a dvd and try to get to work on time in the morning.....lol

Dango77 11-11-2010 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Managed to get a little bit more done to him whilst having a break this morning, got the base mesh almost done and ready to stick into Z.
Love working from home, especially on such a crap wet day when I'd usually be getting soaked!

bullet1968 11-11-2010 02:19 PM

Amphibious in nature mate??? Looks kinda toadfish like...LOL jokin

cheers bullet