Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Slums - WIP (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9288)

flipfl0p 05-12-2003 06:05 PM

Slums - WIP

1 Attachment(s)
This is my attempt at making a "slummy alley way". I just added a back door to a pub on the right, I will finish the details on that next render. The faded image that you see on the left side of the wall is a WW2 propaganda pic that I added in hopes of making the scene look worn and older. Be critical. What is it that will make this look photo real?
-flipfl0p

Pony 05-12-2003 07:21 PM

Looking good. nice pavement. the briks, ya can tell there tiled to much. maybe luseing the gray ones will help it not be so noticable.

flipfl0p 05-12-2003 07:30 PM

Thanks pony, I will run the texture through photoshop.

I-Iybrid 05-12-2003 08:15 PM

If its supposed to be the Slums, it sure dosent look it. Its way to clean to be slums. Dirty it up abit. :)

Pony 05-12-2003 08:27 PM

I was thinking we'll get in to the details of it as we go.. more dirt definely ! . like that paint on the wall. it could be flaked off in places.

flipfl0p 06-12-2003 01:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that you guys mention it, it definetly could use more dirty stuff, I'll probably add some more garbage scraps and dirty the walls further. I painted the brick texture and made it seamless in photoshop, I'm looking for thick white walls, I rendered this image before I went to work, was just experiementing with seamless stuff

flipfl0p 06-12-2003 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
test render, removed the color and diffuse map on the wall, left the bump, extremly crappy quality, but i like, I'm going to add an alpha channel to the WW2 pic, and add scratches and little marks on the wall....
sorry for crappy quality but this took 5 min to render on my AMD 2100+, 1.5GB ram =(

kbrown 06-12-2003 02:47 AM

Only one crit at this point. Why is it getting brighter and brighter? Might be my personal taste but I'd like to see it in a moody night time lighting env. Dark bluish ambient with couple of streelights lighting the details you want to show plus strong and tall shadows... things like that... Only a suggestion :)

Pony 06-12-2003 03:36 AM

yeah its getting there.. good job on the seemless bricks.. but I would make them a bit smaller....

flipfl0p 06-12-2003 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, here is what I have come up with as far as "greyish" bricks, I like this more than the colored ones, there is no color map, only a bump. I know I over-did it on the paper on the ground, will re-touch that later. The main problem I'm having is getting transparencies to render correctly with mental ray. I brought some images through the connection editor, Out Alpha-->Transparency RGB, And I inverted the alpha colors. Maya renderer renders my transparency maps correctly, however, mental ray does not seem to respond to the transparency settings as well. How can I go about adding smears of dirt, paint, etc... on the brick wall? Can paint effects let me do this? anyways... back to work =)

neoarcadia 06-12-2003 11:36 PM

I like the white-washed bring look better myself.. I agree with kbrown on the lighting though. The paint-effects would probably get you what you need, depending on how good you are with the paint tools. I've used them very seldom, though, so I don't know if its possible to add on an existing 2d texture map? Another suggestion would be maybe adding some chips or missing pieces of bricks to the corners of the doorway..Just to add to the old slum look you're going for :bgreen:

flipfl0p 08-12-2003 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well Im done with exams for this semester, so I'll have lots of time to finish this scene. Here is what I have now. I completely rebuilt the wall, stairs, and door area. I added chips and dents in the wall. most importantly, I created a really dirty texture for my wall in photoshop. here it is...

Pony 08-12-2003 09:41 PM

yep yep.. better and better.. I was thinking with that much rust on the dumpster there will be stains on the pavement.

flipfl0p 09-12-2003 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay finally after TEN HOURS of render time, this frame is finally done. I used 3000 FG rays... probably too much. Pony, I agree about the dumpster, I think I need to re-model it completly as it seems to lack definition. There is something about the texture on it that makes it look a lil unbelieveable. I decided to board up the door. I'm also noticing that the light bulb has way too much incandesence, and the texture for the light fixture is disrupted. Anyways, I think I'm done for the night
-flipfl0p
:bgreen:

rich 09-12-2003 08:55 AM

Looking really good m8... How about a splash of graffiti on the wall?