Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Menu bar not working (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24248)

Fungus 14-12-2006 07:08 PM

Menu bar not working

Hi,

I just installed Maya (8.0) and i seem to be doing something wrong. The left menu bar often stops working. It's the bar with the buttons like 'Move tool', 'Rotate tool' and 'Scale tool'.

I select the object i just created, like a sphere, then want to move it around but i can't. Sometimes the buttons do work. I can click what i want but they just don't respond.

Another problem i constantly get is that holding the ALT key to move the camera around stops working. Other times it works as expected.

What am i doing wrong?

graphiac 14-12-2006 07:26 PM

this is a problem I struggled with for a while

go to your display----->UI elements and make sure the first six buttons are checked hopefully that should help it sure helped me

Zohar0 14-12-2006 07:30 PM

Sorry wrong place

Fungus 14-12-2006 07:36 PM

Re: this is a problem I struggled with for a while

Quote:

Originally posted by graphiac
go to your display----->UI elements and make sure the first six buttons are checked hopefully that should help it sure helped me
Hmm yes there all checked. I do see all the buttons on the left menu. I'm just not able to click them.

graphiac 14-12-2006 08:23 PM

That sounds more like a glitch to me

if you can see the buttons but cannot select them I can see how that would get very frustrating:headbang: I really don't know on this situation if the buttons aren't showing I understand that you may want to go further and contact alias directly. Sorry

marlonjohn 14-12-2006 08:42 PM

can you click on the toolbox icon and then if you try using them it dosnt work? or you cannot completely click on the icons in toolbox?

Fungus 14-12-2006 08:53 PM

Both. It's like the Toolbox menu is just a JPEG. I cannot click them nor they do anything. Restarting doesn't seem to help anymore either :/

marlonjohn 14-12-2006 09:04 PM

hmm very strange ... if you could click on the toolbox icons but they dont do anything to the object i think i can help you there since i had that problem along way back since i started maya,

if it is the same problem as i had along time ago its got nothing to do really with the toolbox icons etc, try this and see if it works.. click on the icon you want to use (scale,rotate etc) and then click on the tool settings option on the top right corner next to, "show or hide attribute editor and channel box" its inbetween them two and try fiddle around with them, but remember what is it on first on(default) and then change it soo you dont encounter any other problems..

hope you get that toolbox fixed up, if i were you i would have no hair left from pulling it out :p well im off to bed now, but ill be on in 5 hours if you need me, not much of a sleep though. chow ...

marlon

Fungus 14-12-2006 09:13 PM

I still can't get it to work :(

I'm starting to get the feeling if i can't even manage this i'm just wasting my time.

Fungus 14-12-2006 09:14 PM

Alt stopped working again...

Saturday wasted

arran 14-12-2006 09:34 PM

this might be a bit obvious, but have you got caps lock on? sometimes that can really mess you up.

Don't give up mate, I have wasted plenty of days. I am sure we will both waste plenty more - It's a tough program.
:beer:

Fungus 14-12-2006 10:39 PM

I know it's tough. That is why getting stuck at simply clicking a button makes me quite depressed.

I restarted Maya again and now i get an error:

'There are no settings defined for this tool'. it has a 'Reset tool' button but nothing happens if i click on it.

marlonjohn 16-12-2006 11:04 AM

i know how you feel, ived had a problem with inserting isuparm and got depressed i didnt touch maya for about 2 months but i kept on persisting and finally got it working...

donno if this would help and you probably tried it but have you tried uninstalling maya from control panel, then actually deleting "alias maya" in program files and deleting "maya file" in document settings? (btw if you do do this, remember to backup your projects and the things you have worked on soo you dont lose it) then installing maya again?

NeoStrider 16-12-2006 11:25 AM

do the keyboard shortcuts for the tools work? (q for select, w for move, e for rotate, r for scale, y for last tool)

Fungus 16-12-2006 12:27 PM

I've reinstalled Maya yesterday but not a clean install. Just over the old one. That didn't help so next time i'll use your suggestion by deleting everything first.

However, now that i have restarted my PC it is working again!

I wonder for how long ;) If it it starts acting up again i'll try the shortcuts to. Good suggestion!

Thanks all.