Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   programs like makhuman non/acceptable? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31423)

24-11-2008 02:50 AM

programs like makhuman non/acceptable?

do you think using a program like makhuman or similaar is acceptable in 3d, whether using it for the actual model or just using it for a base mesh?

ideas, discuss, rants and raves?

Jay 24-11-2008 05:48 AM

Hey Acid

interesting topic.

I've used poser in actual production work in the past and its a life saver at the end of the day for getting work out. We even looked at Quidam too when that came out However there limitations to all these types of apps. Because of the generic nature of the mesh/software they become limited to a point and the models become recognised as being from these types of software, no matter how many morph targets to the body or etc you make, there's always a giveaway, right down to the deforming areas. I kid you not.

I think when people are new to 3d character modelling etc, they are drawn to these apps instantly, but then theres no harm in learning from them. One way is to export meshes out to say Maya to use as a template to work around

But if you are looking for something unique and different, then the best way is to build your own models

Jay

24-11-2008 06:04 AM

yea, i've noticed with a lot of them that in the meshflow, or the shape of the character/model or something (not sure really what it is) something does give it away, and everythime i see a model out of makehuman now i can tell that it's from makehuman because i use it alot to mess around trying to learn rigging...

my vote is on yes, because of that, but i'm kind of not sure about using something like this for finished models that you get credit for, even if you only use it for a small part, llike an ear for example, but as you said, "if you are looking for something unique and different, then the best way is to build your own models"

Jay 24-11-2008 06:27 AM

For finished work its probably best to give credit to 'them' as well for anything that you use, even if it is an ear LOL.

Its great that youve taken the intiative to use any mesh for rigging as all meshes are different and you'll be able to decide what works best for weighting ie: meshes with good topo for deformation and also bad topo, you'll be able to see the differences, and able to make the changes accordingly.

cheers
Jay

Chirone 25-11-2008 03:50 AM

i've never used it or any other automation tool but i think acid has it right for learning rigging.

if you're flying solo because everyone around doesn't doesn't have a clue what a model is, then it's nice to have a model that is probably made perfectly so you can concentrate on rigging rather than rigging possible crap that you've made

i suppose being familiar with all these tools is a good thing though... i'll take your word for being able to recognise the automated stuff until i figure that out for myself :p

honestdom 25-11-2008 04:55 AM

don't most actors have their heads scanned for head tracking and other stuff.

i don't see a problem with it.

Jay 25-11-2008 05:02 AM

hammer.horror

I think you're getting confused my friend. Acid means software that creates generic humans like poser, makehuman and quidam...the advantages etc, do we like them and so on.

they have their uses in some ways but are recognisable because of certain attributes etc. But are useful for what Acid and Chirone are talking about such as practising rigs etc.

I know what you mean though, thats in situations where a digital double has been made and an actors head has replaced the model during post production.

cheers for now
Jay