Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Drawing in maya (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25707)

linvetb6 01-04-2007 08:43 AM

Drawing in maya

I remember seeing someone draw poses and sketching stuff in maya once. but i cant remember what the tool, mel or pulgin was. i would like to know to draw out my poses out before i randomly make posses.

any of you know whaa im talking about and if so where can i find it?

vladimirjp 01-04-2007 09:14 AM

iirc jason scheiffler had a utility for that.
there was another that was for windows, and worked on desktops not maya specific. but its really handy.

Joopson 01-04-2007 09:55 AM

their is always the paint-effects window, you can draw on a canvas in that.

01-04-2007 08:36 PM

Why would you want to draw in Maya? ThatÕs like making a website in PS!

The only thing I can help you with is to go to the Paint Effects canvas. IÕve used it before to make a grass texture, but thatÕs about it.

:beer:

Joopson 02-04-2007 02:35 AM

umm, jr.who,
a major part of making a website is in PS, so that point didnt make sense, lol

but yeah, painteffects canvas;)

02-04-2007 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joopson
umm, jr.who,
a major part of making a website is in PS, so that point didnt make sense, lol

but yeah, painteffects canvas;)

I meant programming. ;)

You canÕt really create a website in PS. :rolleyes:

Joopson 02-04-2007 02:49 AM

oh, that explains it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
HTML isnt a programming, so you are right!
unless you use flash. so TECHNICALLY you are wrong, but why the heck am i continuing this? lol
im sooo bored....

good luck with the painteffects canvas!

linvetb6 02-04-2007 10:36 AM

umm. u use PS to make a website have a nice design. id rather make a cool website that works then a crapy looking website that works just the same. coding is not king this stuff is not meant to be technical but made to be used as a tool

animation is an art. and i find it better if i draw out pose's, such as in traditional animation, beacuse i get a more fluid exaggerated pose that i personally can not do in maya by just moving the controls all over the place

its just a personal thing i need, and am used to doing more of. traditional animation is intuitive and thats why most cg animation isnt great, but i want that traditional look in my cg, that makes great animation. great examples are the Pixar movies which were made by guys with traditional backgrounds. theres reasons why mo cap looks like robots on sleeping pills. u need that speacial touch from an artist. the aim is not tv animation but cinematic animation.

well i found the grease pencil. ill see how well it works later

NeoStrider 02-04-2007 03:27 PM

2d animation staples like exaggeration and anticipation of motion can be achieved in 3d 'by just moving controls all over the place'. you just have to be familiar with the way things work. one of the best ways to get slight overmovements is by tweaking your animation curves in the graph editor... by moving tangents to change the way something eases-in or eases-out (or oversteps its keyframe value), you'd be surprised how easy it is to not only create slight (or even dramatic) overcompensated moves, but also to create them fluidly.

02-04-2007 05:32 PM

*sighs*

Guys,

Believe it or not, you canÕt entirely create a website in PS! Where do you put the HTML? :confused:

The Architect 02-04-2007 09:12 PM

Hasn't motion capture kinda obsoleted moving controls around and drawing poses in animation for characters?

gster123 02-04-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect
Hasn't motion capture kinda obsoleted moving controls around and drawing poses in animation for characters?
Nope, not really, as its very expensive to capture and set up, get equipment for etc etc etc, where as animation only requires one person, with one wage, one software (in an ideal world) where as mo cap requires a lot of equipment, people, actors, etc etc.

NeoStrider 02-04-2007 11:25 PM

not only that, but after you import mocap input, you still have to clean it up... the computer records data with a certain margin of error... so even though it's recording real movement, you're still gonna find keys that are way off, and they need to be fixed.

besides, when you're dealing with cartoon characters you don't want realistic motion all the time. you want the extreme poses to remind you that it is in fact a cartoon. when you're trying to render photorealistic stuff and lifelike human characters, that's when you want biorealistic movement.

gster123 02-04-2007 11:49 PM

Very ture neo, I didnt want to go into the clean up stage and add that on!

LauriePriest 07-04-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect
It looks terribly shit to be honest lol, neo has hit it on the head. Alot of character work, even in feature film involves things that stunt men cannot do or creatures taht do not exist.

and even in things like king kong where they use elaborate motion capture rigs animators often just end up deleting the cap data anyway.

Inbetb6 as far as an approach for quick posing in maya, i just shove a cel or assitate over the mointor and draw on it :) rubs off too.