Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Unreal tournament Level design? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31082)

silverspawn 12-10-2008 03:20 AM

Unreal tournament Level design?

Hey,

I was just wondering If anyone here as had any experience will this?

Part of one of my uni projects is to design a level for this game,I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on this as I have no experience at all on the game or level design.

Thanks.

Jason

Chirone 12-10-2008 02:21 PM

using the unreal engine?

sorry, we had to use the source engine and that is a royal pain in the ass.

i hope the unreal engine has good documentation and not some bs wiki and lame forums where everyone gets angry at you for asking a question and point you to a webpage that doesn't even answer your question or one that you've seen before...

12-10-2008 02:57 PM

nice rant chirone :p

try googlin "unreal tounament editing forum" you might find something

Chirone 12-10-2008 03:00 PM

i had to hold back a lot....

in fact i might post screen shots of it sometime later....

12-10-2008 03:50 PM

is it seriously that bad?

Chirone 12-10-2008 04:38 PM

not wanting to hijack poor silver's thread but when you're trying to do what we had to do, it really was bad

Source isn't a nice game engine to work with and you get no help from the valve developers either because they dont make any money out of it.

and all existing tutorials and documentation just tell you how to put things in that were from the game.

no resource shows you how to make your own stuff.

12-10-2008 04:50 PM

that sounds pretty shitty...

oh, you can have your thread back now silver :p

silverspawn 12-10-2008 04:57 PM

Thanks guy.

Its pretty nerve rackin, been giving a task like this in my second week of uni. I am just managing to find my way around maya.

Thanks for your input guys.

Jason

Chirone 12-10-2008 05:11 PM

have you decided what your roles are for the level design?

have you had a look at the unreal engine and what it can do?

for our source mod we had 4 people (and we still didn't finish in the 12 weeks, we would have if it was the only thing we had to do and if we actually knew what we were doing. tbh i think we'd have gotten further if we wrote our own game engine)
i was fiddling with the models and textures
someone was fiddling with the ai
someone else played with the map and lighting
the other did the game panels we wanted to appear

the joker who was doing the map and lighting totally didn't listen to a word we said when we planned out the map and we have absolutely no idea what he did during that time

it took me all of about an hour or so to make a map (because his map didn't follow our design plan), although the map sucks and you can tell i hadn't researched what it was meant to look like....

the other three things took the longest
and still aren't complete and it's due monday
and are the hardest things to do (due to lack of quality documentation)

what is the uni project? do you just have to design a level? i suppose you wouldn't have to do anything out of the ordinary? (you're just making a map where you go round shooting things?)

and more importantly, are you alone in this?

gster123 12-10-2008 05:17 PM

might be of help

http://utmapping.wikidot.com/

marlonjohn 12-10-2008 05:49 PM

silver, wouldn't they at least given you some documentation/tutorials before you start tackling the program?

tamoose 12-10-2008 06:55 PM

what uni are you at jason?
i got pretty much the same module, maybe were at the same uni? haha.

To help me get the hang on unreal i bought this:
amazon book

silverspawn 13-10-2008 02:49 PM

Hey guys or girls(not wanting to be sexist if there are any)

The only documentation we were advised on buying was the unreal level deisgn book.

And unfortunately it is every man for them self, so I am all alone on this:confused: .

Just trying to get a feel of unreal trying to take in the scenery while shooting,trying to get a feel of what to make the level like what you would expect i guess,every little bit of help and guidance on this will be extremely useful and appreciated. I have been doing maya now for 3 months and only just got use to most tools and modelling so god knows what this will be like with only a few of months to complete.

Were due to start this in a couple of weeks,so still got time to do a little research, all I was told that I will have to design a level for unreal, so I am guessing it will be just a level for shooting but will find more later this week.

Marlon john no documentation or tutorials,they might as well havr chucked me in the crocodile pit. :(

I am currently studying at the hull university on a computer science and game development course tomoose. hey hey.

Jason

marlonjohn 26-10-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by silverspawn
they might as well have chucked me in the crocodile pit. :(
ouch that hurts lol ... anyway hows things with this project going? would like to see some progress if you've done some :D

NitroLiq 27-10-2008 01:35 AM

Have you looked into UnrealEd 3.0? It's unreal's level editor. You're only creating a level for unreal, not creating your own game based on the unreal engine, right?