Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Amoeba - summer challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30474)

amoeba 21-07-2008 02:55 AM

Amoeba - summer challenge

I decided to join since it would be good practices for a newbie to maya like me. :)
I'm part of an Astronomy club, so I see it fitting to model a telescope...and of course, 'abandon' it for a few years. (Reference to summer challenge).

I'll upload 1 or 2 images of the "reference"-telescope tomorrow.
:)

amoeba 22-07-2008 03:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here is one of my reference images (please excuse he fact that it is night, and the room is poorly lit...)
Anyway, I lowered the quality so I can upload it here (don't have an accounts on image-uploading sites.)

Chirone 22-07-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by amoeba
(please excuse he fact that it is night, and the room is poorly lit...)
and that you forgot to flip it? :p

you have a telescope... dude, you are awesome :bow:

amoeba 22-07-2008 04:41 AM

^I acctually flipped it, but preview (a mac proram, the windows equivelant is Windows FAX viewer (I believe thats what it is called)) didn't save it that way. I still have to install GIMP (moved computers) so I couldn't really have better quality then this...

Oh, and the telescope is my familys...we where interested in stars & planets, and in the end that got me in astronomy club.

amoeba 23-07-2008 02:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here is a pic of the progress...was busy with homework, so I only get satrted on the leg so far.

amoeba 24-07-2008 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Detail...

amoeba 24-07-2008 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A bit more progress...

Chirone 24-07-2008 10:44 PM

looking good :)

what happened to that screw from the prior post?

amoeba 24-07-2008 11:24 PM

Oops...
When I took this screenshot, I forgot to un-hide the screws layer (since one of them has a lot of polys, so the comp wouldn't lag very early in the process.)
:blush:
Thanks for the compliment though!

Chirone 24-07-2008 11:27 PM

ah right,

so how you putting it all together if your computer complains when you show the screw layer?

amoeba 24-07-2008 11:31 PM

Putting it together is not a problem...
the problem is, one of the screws uses WAY too many poly spheres that have flattend...I was going a bit, "over-the-top".
im goin to redo the screw once I finished the batch render currently running...
;)
'
PS: Will you join the summer challenge too, Chirone?

Chirone 24-07-2008 11:34 PM

the screw is just a series of flattened spheres?

maybe you should have lofted something out of some curves, might reduced your poly count?

amoeba 24-07-2008 11:39 PM

Ok, I'll do that once the last 80 frames have been renderd! :)
Chirone, are you joining the challenge?

Chirone 24-07-2008 11:45 PM

i got scared off from Joopson's rapid progress, and BennyK's fridge! :p

i may still join in though... wont be as fancy as their work though :eek:

jsprogg 25-07-2008 04:13 AM

amoeba try a helix for your screws, just adjust the attributes and it can easily look like a screw but with a lot less polys.

Chirone , don't be scared to enter.No one is going to laugh and it's really about the experience you gain from taking part, I always learn something when I take part in a challenge.