Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Do you get payed for your Maya work? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34033)

kbrown 29-04-2010 11:14 AM

Do you get payed for your Maya work?

So do you get payed for your Maya work?

tweetytunes 29-04-2010 12:04 PM

I would love too but still having no luck finding anyone to offer me any work.

bullet1968 29-04-2010 02:19 PM

bah Im not good enough and probably never will be......................still Im a Surveyor, I build roads/pipes/estates etc etc etc so I guess its still modelling, just in real things, not as much fun though.

yeh tweet I hear yah! be nice

tweetytunes 29-04-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bullet1968
yeh tweet I hear yah! be nice
Only took 5 years of uni and 3 years of looking so far - but who knows maybe one day

Mayaniac 29-04-2010 03:08 PM

I've been paid in the past with some small freelance projects. But I'm not employed with any studio doing it (unfortunately).

But I keep working at it... then when I'm at a competitive level, I'll start working on a portfolio and see if I can squeeze my into the industry.

Tweety: You went to school for 5 years to learn CG?

bullet1968 29-04-2010 03:13 PM

jeez tweety, I aint been to no skool. I learnt the hard way, through life but I reckon on a par with the guys that went to school, Im probably better in most ways because I learnt from the ground up, layed the pipes etc etc and dont rely on technology as much. Bloody hell mate 8 years all up!!!!! you should be making your own movies!!!!

All I can say is keep at it guys, I will never be that good and Im too old now, so I will be a Surveyor til Im dead.

honestdom 29-04-2010 03:14 PM

i only recently started working in 3D.

I did a short course in VFX and got a job as a runner at a post house in london. did that for 6 months then moved into data wrangling for clash of the titans, worked there for 4 months then started in 3D. ...
from what i can tell, so far i've been pretty lucky and quick getting into the industry.

tweetytunes 29-04-2010 03:24 PM

Yer did a 2 year HND in multimedia then a BA in 3D Animation (3 years) - graduated in 2006 when I started work on a 3d film in Sept 2006 - but by the following April It went bust - With no ref it was impossible to find any other work.

I keep trying but now I think its never going to happen.

Too old for a runner or junior position and not enough experience to get an other CG job.

Sad I know but not a lot I can about it now

honestdom 29-04-2010 03:29 PM

work as a runner... its crap, but if you want to get your foot in the door its a good way to do it.
you may only be doing it for a couple of month. Its better handing a reel to someone in person that you know, rather than posting it to someone anonymous. There are people i know that were running fort about 3 weeks. They were just in the right place at the right time.

tweetytunes 29-04-2010 03:40 PM

Infact applied for Framestore yesterday as a runner - I would love to just get my little toe in the door let alone my foot.

I have applied many times before to a few different comps - never heard anything - not even a no, which is really getting on my nerves as I still don`t know what they did not like.

bendingiscool 29-04-2010 07:27 PM

I got super lucky and had the opportunity to dive in straight after Uni.

Though I think I would still be looking if they didn't happen to need a Crowd TD just when I had finished make a crowd based uni-project..

cheers,
Chris

Jay 29-04-2010 08:52 PM

Yeah Hammer is right, if you find it hard, get a reel done and apply as a runner. The work is pretty crap but you will get a foot in the door. I work at Cinesite in London atm and they run a schedule thing for the runners until they are 'broken in' then they get given a full time job.

cheers
Jay

Chirone 29-04-2010 08:59 PM

tweety, do you follow up on your applications? i hear that it helps if you call them up after a while (maybe a week, not too soon or you will sound desperate)

ColdWave 29-04-2010 09:13 PM

My luck just turns on and i work for US animation company. I'm working from home but i have monthly animations so it's enough for my bills. I'm still 20 so i'm just learning myself . I'll need a solid portfolio to get into the game industry so i'll work on it while i'm studying programming languages in the Uni. :beer:

kbrown 29-04-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay
Yeah Hammer is right, if you find it hard, get a reel done and apply as a runner. The work is pretty crap but you will get a foot in the door. I work at Cinesite in London atm and they run a schedule thing for the runners until they are 'broken in' then they get given a full time job.

cheers
Jay

Jay, we gotta meet some day. I just started at Cinesite last Monday. Came from Double Negative after three and a half years :)