Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My new adventer into 3d printing. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42567)

Kurt 28-03-2016 01:27 AM

My new adventer into 3d printing.

3 Attachment(s)
So I finally decided to dive into 3d printing and I think I have found an aspect of 3d art that really sings to me. The last 2 weeks I have been modeling my first character that will be printed. He is almost done with only keying the parts left so they will glue together perfect when he is printed. In total he will be just under 5 inches when put together. I plan on making a few larger prints in the 6 to 8 inch ranges after this project. I will hopefully have him in my hands in about 3 weeks. Cant wait.

I have also be diving into jewellery as well which is a lot of fun. I'm actually becoming a dynamesh master lol well a lot better at it then i was a few weeks back.

David 28-03-2016 09:05 AM

Love the character mate, I think 3D printing is a good fit for you. If you plan to sell then when you're done? I'd buy one, i've been painting miniatures for over 30 years now so i love this stuff.

Dave :)

Kurt 28-03-2016 04:17 PM

Cool I will keep ya updated... he's just for class so be about 4 inches just over printed on a lazer printer.. I want to get him about 6 inches.. I know how to mold and cast so I can make a lot of copies down the road which will bring the price right down instead of printing them each time.. Trying to convince Amber to let me get my own lazer printer....

ben hobden 28-03-2016 04:39 PM

Nice Kurt. Be good to see what the finished print looks like. The character looks solid. The jewellery also looks awesome.

Did you make the character in bits (individual printing pieces) or sculpt and then break him up/retopo' him somehow. That's the trick with 3d printing isn't it....no holes?

Kurt 28-03-2016 06:58 PM

Bit of both actually Ben, a few parts where sculpted separate at the start, and a few parts where retopo's like the armour bits. Its a lot different work flow than for film lots and lots of dynameshing. Yes no wholes is the big rule to follow.

ben hobden 28-03-2016 09:17 PM

It surprises me that dynamesh would be heavily used what with its unpredictability - but I guess it's a quick fire one click way to make sure everything is meshed. hhmmm now i'm thinking about it, i'm not sure if its possible for a dynamesh to have rips/holes....

but it looks you know what youre doing!

Kurt 28-03-2016 11:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dynamesh is not too bad once you figure out the resolution settings to keep the details. It took me a bit as well to wrap my mind around it but the possibilities for making detailed stuff fast is crazy once you have a handle on it. The one thing about dynamesh is the ability to go back to quads on a duplicated subtool using the topology tool or if you're into the longer process re-top over all of it then just project the dymesh details on the new quad geo.

Keeping the details with dynamesh depends on the size of your geo also. So if your mesh is really small in z brush you will have to have a high setting in your dynamesh (goes up to 4000... usually around 1500 to 2000 is enough to keep the details I find). If your mesh is larger you will not need to have your settings up as high to get the same level of detail once you dynamesh (500 to 1000 seems like it works). If I have some free time I'll make like a 5 min capture so you can see it in action.

This is another project that will be printed in the near future as well. and is all dynameshed.

Kurt 30-03-2016 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of the the final detailing is done just a bit more on the pack and some dents on the guns. Then its just keying left.

tweetytunes 30-03-2016 09:50 PM

Love the character within this guy - cant wait to see it printed

Juanpax 01-04-2016 01:26 AM

Good luck with that mate. can't wait for the final result. :beer:

Kurt 03-04-2016 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All keyed just have to hollow the larger parts out to save resin..

halfloaf 04-04-2016 01:00 PM

I'd happily have a stack of my WoW and Wildstar toons printed and painted to sit on my desk. This looks fantastic Kurt, well done!

Kurt 13-04-2016 02:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Few more jewelry viking inspired

Kurt 17-04-2016 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty much all ready for print.just have to find someone with a form2 around my area to get some quotes. The alien with the guns should be in my hand in about a week and the jewelry in about 2 weeks

tweetytunes 17-04-2016 11:52 PM

Looking forward to seeing how these look