Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Kev, kal, other pros, baffling problem :( (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1267)

Nem 23-09-2002 09:12 PM

Kev, kal, other pros, baffling problem :(

1 Attachment(s)
ok, firstly, ive attached the scene file so you can all take a look and hopefully follow along, its very hard to explain
ok, ive used rigid bind to bind my character, my skeleton is set up in exactly the same way as Buzz taught in the 3d World tutorial (with a few modifications)
the first thing that is wrong with this character, is if i select his right arm, his left arm would be highlighted purple because of construction history being caused by the binding, but if i select his left arm, theres no construction history being fed into his other arm, why? i dont know, thats weird thing number one

the second, this is my main problem, if you select the both the arms (one after the other) and take a look at the channel box, in the history bit, the left arm is ok, but the right arm is missing a few bones (forearm and clavicle), hmm, tahts weird in itself, but now my main problem, i cant create flexors on the joints from shoulder to the wrist :( and i need flexors there for my SDK and that :(

someone said to me that i cant create flexors on IK handle things, ok, say this is true, how come i could create a flexor on the left arm? you cant see them cos ive taken them off (at the wrist) but try creating a flexor at both wrists and one will work, one wont for some reason :(
wheni try with the right wrist, i get this error:
Error: Cannot add flexor unless skin is bound to joint R_Forearm

or something like that, but the bone name at the end tends to change depending on where i try to create a flexor in the arm
the problem here mite b cos this bones missing from the construction history of the arm, but why? i have no idea :(

so i think both my problems are linked, and both unsolvable :(

i have asked so many experts, ppl who rig and model for a living, but they have no idea whats wrong :(

does anyone know whats wrong? :(

Kevin 24-09-2002 07:18 AM

of to a funeral today :( ill look into this later nem

mtmckinley 24-09-2002 12:00 PM

sometimes you might just have to create a new skeleton.

Nem 24-09-2002 03:10 PM

i no mike :) but thats the thing im tryin to avoid, and i do not see how it would help anyway, cos all my bones are renamed and everything, so are my IK handles

Nem 24-09-2002 06:09 PM

so i thought that it mite be the fact you cant create flexors on IK handles, so i thought about it, but obviously not cos i have flexors on the other arm, and they work fine :( i can add them to anywhere on the other arm :(
so then i thought it mite b cos of mirrored joints and IK, so i renamed everything, its still the same :( and besides, the right leg is mirrored, i can add flexors to that with no problem, its JUST this one arm for some reason :(

Saiyan 24-09-2002 09:54 PM

looking at it now.....and it seems the backbone is part of one side but not the other......that is the main difference between them......still looking at it though ;)

Nem 24-09-2002 09:56 PM

:O didnt notice that, but i only mirrored the arm joints THEN i parented then, so both arms shud b with the backbone, but if you say so :)

Saiyan 24-09-2002 10:27 PM

Also your Translate X numbers don't match.....:banghead:

But I don't think it matters.....

Nem 24-09-2002 10:58 PM

no cos i had to reposition one of the arms a bit to make sure it was snug with the body, thats why the translates dont match, as you saud, doesnt really matter i dont think

Kevin 24-09-2002 10:58 PM

sorry nem ...hope saiyan can sort this as I havnt even had time to brush my teeth this week :D

Saiyan 24-09-2002 11:13 PM

k dunno if these have anything to do with it....but check it out :beer:

Saiyan 24-09-2002 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hehe....deleted pic....woops...here it is.....so if we can't get to solving this little roadblock....then this picture might help someone else to figure it out. Notice in particular the Outputs.....in one pic they have Left-right matching....but in the other it's clearly missing the link to the shoulder and clavicle

Saiyan 24-09-2002 11:31 PM

I also say start over......hehe.....been at this for over an hour now.....and it's great work....but it's messy.....you say it's mirrored but things are missing.....try it again....and see if you can get the left side saying the same thing as the right...you missed something somewhere....forgot to bind skin....dunno....but it's probably so small that it got overlooked....and once that happens and you continue modeling....that small problem, turns big, bad and ugly.....trust me.....sometimes a restart is what ya need to get it right.

And I'm Spent......will someone get me a latte?

Nem 25-09-2002 04:41 PM

what do you suggest i start over with? the actual model? the whole skeleton? or the arm?

Saiyan 26-09-2002 03:02 AM

well you can try the skeleton first.....since we believe it to be the problem here....:beer:

good luck :banana: