Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Dual Athlon XP (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1624)

kbrown 16-10-2002 08:55 AM

Dual Athlon XP

Dual Athlon XP

Phew...after a painful parturition my new computer is finally up and running :) Well, most of it. I'm getting the second processor today, but I'm pretty confident it will run in dual mode with two Athlon XP processors. I modified the proc by the instructions found here and at the boot time the BIOS reports: AMD Athlon MP 2000+ :) For the modification I used silver paint meant for repairing cut foils on a PCB.

Putting the system together was the most difficult one I've ever done (i've built numerous computers). First of all I had to alter my old midi tower case to fit all the components in it :) The back panel cover plate had to be removed due to the extra connectors on the main board. I also had to move the fastening thing that holds the HDs to a new place. Otherwise the memory sticks would have been in contact with it.

Then the real fun begun. It was time for the first boot:

- no smoke -> this is a good sign...
- some text on screen -> it might work...
- "AMD Athlon(tm) 1250MHz" -> WTF? A BIOS Bug? Hmm...let's continue to the bios setup.
- setup done; reboot; same texts plus "This is not an MP compatible processor..blah blah" -> Crap. It doesn't work. Let's continue anyway...
- Windows 2000 Starting (I was lazy so didn't reinstall it) -> *cronkle cronkle cronkle* -> looking good... -> *cronkle cronkle crash* -> oh well...

Then I removed all extra peripherals, disabled some on-board stuff and booted with the w2k restore disks. Ok, windows booted but behaved really weird? I tried installing the drivers which came with the mobo but the computer was extremely unstable. One time it would boot and the second time it would crash immediately. But I didn't give up. After a while I remembered that in the past I had changed the computer type from ACPI Compilant System to a Standard PC to gain full manual control over the IRQs and stuff. So I changed it back to ACPI and it got better. But still kind of unstable. I kept wondering why the bios detected the processor as a 1250MHz Athlon??? After few hours it hit me. Darn...F(&%&/ :banghead: :banghead:...The frigging FSB jumper! I had set it incorrectly. It was in the 100MHz position while it should have been in 133MHz. After correcting that I booted again:

- no smoke -> drumroll...
- "AMD Athlon MP 2000+ 1 CPUs" -> WHEE!
- Windows booted and all problems were gone!

A DIY man's nightmare one might say but still so far so good. Let's see what happens when I throw in the second proc. Whish me luck...

moocow 16-10-2002 08:24 PM

hehe, nice man. yeah, that fsb will grab you by the nuts and give you a scare if you're not careful. congrats!

Roman 17-10-2002 02:57 AM

wicked man.. congratz.. hehe :p

kbrown 19-10-2002 02:07 PM

Ok, now I'm pi$$ed off.

I got the second processor. Modified it as well. And the system booted in dual mode. But strange things started to happen. The most serious problem was that my other HD started corrupting files. So I wiped it clean and did a fresh w2k install with latest updates and all. But still I wasn't pleased. Finally I decided to flash the bios with the latest version. The flashing went ok, no errors whatsoever but after booting the system it only beeps and the D-Led (on-board diagnostics system) hangs on memory detection test. I tried to clear the CMOS and I also removed everything else but the video card. I also tried with only one CPU but still no workie... I'm out of ideas. I think I'll return the mobo and get the ASUS A7M266-D board...

(using my old computer now :()

David 19-10-2002 02:13 PM

Dam that sucks i feel for ya :(

David :)

mrmacca 19-10-2002 03:09 PM

That sucks, sorry to hear about yor problems. What board did you get anyway?

kbrown 19-10-2002 03:14 PM

MSI K7D Master-L.

Now that I read the forum @ www.amdmb.com I'm not sure about the dual athlon system anymore. It seems that every mobo has some sort of problems :(

mrmacca 19-10-2002 05:21 PM

All i can say is i have that motherboard and zero issues. You just need to be carefull on the components you select, especially memory. I use corsair reg ecc myself and MP processors. If you take a look over at www.2cpu.com you'll see this board is very highly regarded. Hope you can get this resolved.

kbrown 20-10-2002 12:44 PM

It seem that I'm going to be off from modeling for a while. I just can't get that darn thing to boot anymore. You can read the whole story here: http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.ph...light=k7d+bios

Over and out :(

kbrown 28-10-2002 04:49 PM

Just FYI

The story continues: http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.ph...threadid=26911

kbrown 03-12-2002 08:08 PM

Woohoo... I finally got me duallie 'puter back from service. The Kingston (!) mem sticks were bad after all. Now everything seems to be ok (I'm typing this msg on it). Now I need to install all the rest hardware and software back so I'll be offline for a while. C ya soon...

Darkon 03-12-2002 08:16 PM

Glad to see the problem has been solved :)

Darkon

undseth 04-12-2002 05:34 AM

The Kingston mem chips??? Wow, but were they the wrong type or were they flawed?

Btw, congratulations, I can imagine your happiness I think.

kbrown 04-12-2002 07:33 AM

The old sticks were right type but they had different brand chips on them. The system was unstable right from the start until it didn't boot at all. The new sticks has Infineon chips while the old were something else. The logo on them looked like Mitsubishi but someone said they're Toshiba chips. Anyway now it works rock solid and is slick like goose's sh17 ;)