Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Trouble converting into Sub D from Polygons (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29890)

hambo 16-05-2008 01:47 AM

Trouble converting into Sub D from Polygons

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, have really enjoyed making this first real model I have done, and I have been stopped dead in my tracks cause I cant get it to convert from poly to sub d's. HAs anyone go any ideas why?

Jay 16-05-2008 01:50 AM

what error message is is throwing out in the script editor

cheers
Jay

publicFunction 16-05-2008 02:17 AM

It would seem to me that you only have 1/2 a model from the freebie tutorial Kurt provided.

As far as I can remember, you need to duplicate, combine and then merge the verts. Once thats done delete the history and then attempt the conversion.

If its not that and I am talking ****, then reset the settings in the poly to subd options and ensure there are no non manifold faces on the model by running the clean up tool.

hambo 16-05-2008 02:20 AM

This is what the script editor had on it.

deleteInternalValence2Verts |polySurface4|polySurfaceShape6;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 3893 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface4|polySurfaceShape6;
// Warning: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): One or more edges is nonmanifold.
// Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold edges, use Mesh->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

Jay 16-05-2008 02:29 AM

Yeah as r@nsid has said, run a cleanup on it. If Im corrects it in the Poly menu set under Mesh>Cleanup, then set it to Nonmanifold.

It will then hilite the areas you'll need to fix...

Any mesh will convert to a subd no mater its state as long as the geometry is clean and the max face count is the same or above that in the modify>poly to subd menu

cheers
Jay

hambo 18-05-2008 05:49 PM

Hello again I have tried a cleanup, with nonmanifold selected, it highlights all the faces on the model. I then run a poly to sub d convert with the same amounts of faces as the poly model has and it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

I am itching to move on its frustrating.

Karl

hambo 18-05-2008 05:54 PM

Actually done it. Thanks anyway!!

hambo 18-05-2008 06:49 PM

Sculpt Geometry Tool

This doesn't seem to do what the sculpt polygon tool does on the tutorial. Is it the same but different Maya. Does anyone know some good settings. At the moment it twist everything on the model.

Cheers

Jay 18-05-2008 07:35 PM

Just play with the settings, it all depends greatly on the model too. Turn the opacity/pressure down, that will help for starters

_J

hambo 18-05-2008 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is far as i think i m going to go with this tutorial. The face was causing me trouble at the end. Have learnt alot though, am happy with the shape of the body. Gonna do the dog tutorial now.

Thanks for your help