Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   control vertex help (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14955)

junkyBob 07-01-2005 04:57 AM

control vertex help

Hi there all,
Before I got started with Maya, I first was thinking that spline patch model like in other 3d apps, are the same in Maya. But no it isn't. I realized buy finding what the definition of NURBS stands for, which stands for Nonuniform Rational B-Splines, and that b-splines work a little different. BTW please bare in mind with me as I will get to my question, though I need to explain where I am comming from.

So anywho, my background of modeling in previous years, I had tended a course in 3d modeling which I learned spline patch modeling with Animation Master, if any of you heard of that program. My point I am getting to is when spline modeling in Animation Master, the vertices are positioned on all 4 corners of each patch, just like how polygon vertices are layed out on each corner of their faces. However, when I have first opened up Maya, and tried editing a NURBS sphere primitive through control vertices, I notice that they look like they are wrapped around the object instead of positioned on each corner of their patch which doesn't really give me help where each vertex corresponds to the corners of each patch. In addition, when moving a vertex, I notice that the curvature of the isoparm also reacts differnent then how the curvers of the splines react in Animation Master. For example, when you select a vertex in Animation Master, and you move that one vertex, only that one vertex moves and the curveature of the splines adjusts itself between the distances of the vertices that are adjacent to that one vertex you are moving. However, in Maya, you select vertex and move it a distance, not only that one vertex gets moved, but also the vertices that are adjacent to that one vertex also adjusts itself to keep its correct curve. I am extramly not use to this. In addition, I also tried downloading the cartoon dog tutorial like a couple others here who suggested that this would be a good start. Though I found that the video was a little to advance for me, face paced, and did not explain how they where selecting the vertices. Especially when the person who did this tutorial would place his mouse in one area and then puff, somehow a bunch of vertices get selected. He didn't drag select, he just click on one area and a bunch of the vertices got selected. So my question is, is there a more basic version of tutorials in here that explain in more detail how to control the vertices with NURBS?

Omy 07-01-2005 06:58 AM

I dont know what u mean....From my experience in maya(only have maya 5) when u move one vertice and it moves the ones around it...its a continous surface and when u move that vert it will keep its tangency to the entire surface but it wont move the vertices you haven't touched.

Also sub'ds are great if you have access to using them. I dont know what the PLE provides if it allows u to use sub'ds. But they are becoming more popular to use cause of their eez to use and texture.

If you need help getting started in Maya just post back here and its great for me to go back and help people out. From what i read your not knew to 3D but if u need help with tools and such.

Im far far far from knowing everything and still need to improve alot but as far as tool go i know what alot of them do and if i dont know it will help both of us.

junkyBob 07-01-2005 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Omy
I dont know what u mean....From my experience in maya(only have maya 5) when u move one vertice and it moves the ones around it...its a continous surface and when u move that vert it will keep its tangency to the entire surface but it wont move the vertices you haven't touched.

What you just said is exactly what I am talking about on how Maya works. Though what I was also tring to say is that I was coming from working with splines and not B-splines. These types of splines look like a polymesh and the vertices also move like how poly vertices move as well except for that the curves gets squashed instead if you pull them to close which causes creases and it is a bad thing. In any event this sort of doesn't matter because I said to myself lets retry doing the video tutorial again. And you know what? It was just a matter of time and getting use to this way and a lot of zooming in really close looking at how each vertex moves and part of the patch it moves.

I have been working on this tutorial over last night and today and so fo I got as far as doing the legs. Here's a pick of what I got so far...

junkyBob 08-01-2005 04:20 PM

New Update problem

Hi there all,
Well, I pretty much finished the NURBS end of modeling my dog. However I am having a small problem. I am tring to attach the rear leg into the body of my dog. So after I had converted my NURBS to polys, I shift selected the rear leg and body, then selectecd Polygon->Boolean->union. However, the dog disappears after doing this. And the weird part is that none of this happened before when I unionized, if thats even a word, the other parts of the dog. Could this be a hardware conflict?