Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   March/April Challenge Rules and Guidelines! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15669)

mtmckinley 02-03-2005 03:25 PM

March/April Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

March/April Challenge!

Robots!

For this challenge, create a robot of some kind. Doesn't have to be humanoid. But do try to design the robot with a specific job in mind. No anime-style mechs!

1) Show concepts! Show progress!

2) BONUS goal(s): As a bonus goal, create an animation of your robot at work! Whether it's a cleaning robot or a secretary-bot or whatever, show what your robot is designed to do.

3) Label your thread thusly:

Mar/Apr - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

4) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win and do not count toward the Grand Prize consideration of 8 or 5 entries mentioned below. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

5) If 8+ Normal entries and/or 5+ Newbie entries finish among the 3 Simply sites participating, a Grand Prize will be rewarded to BOTH classes! Regular VIP point prizes will be awarded to both a Normal and Newbie winner, if the Grand Prize criteria of entries is not met!

6) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge.

The due date of the challenge is April 30th!

7) If 8+ Normal entries and/or 5+ Newbie entries finish among the 3 Simply sites participating, a Grand Prize will be rewarded! Regular VIP point prizes will be awarded to both a Normal and Newbie winner, if the number is not met!

Normal Grand Prize:

A book (any art subject book, whether educational or reference or whatever) and a choice of a tshirt or mug.

Newbie Grand Prize:

1 SM DVD of their choice and 14 points

Ask any questions here!

mayakid14 02-03-2005 03:51 PM

COOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!
I see they took my advice huh MIKE?

13uRneR 02-03-2005 07:28 PM

wheres the results for last contest?

mtmckinley 02-03-2005 07:47 PM

winners haven't been announced yet.

13uRneR 02-03-2005 07:56 PM

O lol :p

might not have time this month for a robot, arg...

mayakid14 02-03-2005 09:35 PM

one of the goals that mike put up at the beginning of this thread was:

1. Show concepts! Show progress!

What does this mean? I am confused. could someone untie my brain for me?

mtmckinley 02-03-2005 10:55 PM

show us any concept sketches or whatnot, and show us progress throughout the challenge. I don't want someone to just join up and post a finished model at the end.

mayakid14 02-03-2005 10:59 PM

oh I get it......I knew that:p ....
Anyway there was a question that was asked in one of the other threads.........I ALSO share a similar question.
Could we make a robot that would have a certain use in the military? Would this be considered a USE????....
Ex. a robot that blows up stuff...

mtmckinley 02-03-2005 11:05 PM

As long as you can make something like that interesting, I suppose. :) Originality is key!

raduangelescu 03-03-2005 07:39 AM

Hy!! That's a very interesting ideea, I'll join for sure !! Can we make a robot with human parts??

Supra Devil 03-03-2005 12:17 PM

ill join up this challenge ..... also had to ask so from all three simplymaya sites only 2 winners would be chossen...?

and there is no poly limit is there

mtmckinley 03-03-2005 01:52 PM

Right, 2 winners from all 3 sites. 1 normal, 1 newbie.

No poly limitations this time. :)

mayakid14 04-03-2005 05:26 PM

so we are competing against other ppl from other sites????????:(
oh well guess that means i got to try harder.

WWWWWWHenn do we get the results from the previous chalenge MIKE......SORRY but i am getting impatient:angry:

LOL....but i can wait a little longer:D ;)

gohan1842 05-03-2005 11:44 PM

1 question. Does the bonus goal count toward your chances of winning?

Eelco 06-03-2005 02:08 AM

I love the prices.
Let's see if I can come up with a concept simple enough for me to enter as noob.
I'm actually so new at Maya that I don't even know how to modify Polygon primitives or use Hypershade (not to mention how to render an animated scene).
But the prices are very motivating :) Even if I don't win anything (most likely), it's a good motivation to learn Maya.