Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting & Rendering (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Render Problem with my model - HELP! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18996)

BMS 08-11-2005 10:54 PM

Render Problem with my model - HELP!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I've made a transparent skin for my balsa wood fin, but the skin isn't rendering properly.

http://forums.simplymaya.com/attachm...&postid=174139
The main wing is rendering properly, but the tail isn't. Any Idea what could be the cause?

Thanks
Paul

THX1138 09-11-2005 02:51 AM

Just curious, what are your Mental Ray settings? It could be not enough anti-aliasing sampling, or the final gather min and max radius settings need adjusting. I'm no expert in MR, but I would check those 2 areas.

BMS 09-11-2005 03:08 AM

I've played with all that but I'm still not sure what's going on. The main wing renders OK.

I've attached the file if that helps.

Maya 6.0 File

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the way I constructed the tail.

Thanks

THX1138 09-11-2005 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe your problem is in the modeling itself. You had hidden geometry showing up in the MR render. Try a different modeling method, and avoid doing what you did in this pic I have attached.

Please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to help out.

BMS 09-11-2005 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by THX1138
Please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to help out.
No way I could take it the wrong way. Thank you for your help. I constructed the tail section in a strange way. It achieved the desired look, but obviously MR doesn't like what I did.

Below is the way I constructed it.

Thanks Again :beer:

BMS 09-11-2005 10:22 AM

Your not going to believe this, but I just reconstucted it in the same way to illustrate what I did (in the above) and it seems to be working OK. I must have done something else. In any case I think the problem is gone.

THX1138 09-11-2005 11:22 AM

Yeah, You probably missed a step that first time out. Glad you have the problem solved! Tail section looks great now!

BMS 09-11-2005 07:29 PM

Thanks Man, really appreciated your help. I'm hoping to get the V-tail and the folding prop done today.

Cheers
Paul

sjurick 16-11-2005 12:49 PM

BMS,

I'm into all aspects of R/C fixed wing and do a little nitro and electric helis too. Can't wait to see your model when it's finished.

I've started a model of an 87" Yak 54 that is produced by my buddy who owns his own company that designs and manufactures R/C aerobatic planes.

Steve

BMS 16-11-2005 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sjurick
BMS,

my buddy who owns his own company that designs and manufactures R/C aerobatic planes.

Steve

Hey Steve,

That is one thing I would love to do! This model is my 6 year olds Training model. He can't land it yet but he seems to be able to keep it up OK.

It you want to see further progress pictures of it Go Here.

Cheers
Paul

caligraphics 16-12-2005 11:56 AM

mYou should really get used to model without Booleans.. they seem to mess up the surfaces alot and it will end up with you loosing control ! .. Booleans is a BIG NO NO !!

sensensen 17-12-2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sjurick
BMS,

I'm into all aspects of R/C fixed wing and do a little nitro and electric helis too. Can't wait to see your model when it's finished.

I've started a model of an 87" Yak 54 that is produced by my buddy who owns his own company that designs and manufactures R/C aerobatic planes.

Steve

get the move tool and go on one vertice and then drag it to the one you want it to merge to whilst holding down either v or c, cant rmember, and it will snap to the vertice.
then you must merge them, highlight them both and go into polygons and click merge

BMS 18-12-2005 03:20 AM

Thanks for the info caligraphics. I've been using Maya close to a year now and I like using Booleans for speed, but when it causes problems it usually does it in a major way.

I'm learning slowly, thanks for the advice :)

Cheers
Paul

MattTheMan 30-12-2005 01:26 AM

wtf sensensen???? you make nooo sence.