Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hair\Fur on this coyote (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23088)

starjsjswars 10-09-2006 01:34 PM

Hair\Fur on this coyote

1 Attachment(s)
hey i was wondering the best way \ how to put hair on this coyote... i really want to finish this even though it took no time to model but still... thanks.

10-09-2006 03:09 PM

you could jjust use the default furs there are some goood ones for a coyote i think

starjsjswars 10-09-2006 03:22 PM

yea it didnt work though. thanks though.

10-09-2006 03:39 PM

ok then i dont no i just started today with maya and figured id give u my only real answer so sorry man but i dont no

starjsjswars 10-09-2006 04:25 PM

yea its cool thanks for trying bud :D

gster123 10-09-2006 08:19 PM

Do Coyotes have five toes???

esion 11-09-2006 12:11 AM

Fur is by far the hardest thing for me in Maya. I have tried several times to get it to work out on my models with bald patches around the face and such...but it just never looks right.

Two suggestions. Either buy the Simply Maya Yeti tutorial and follow that, or go buy the Learning Maya 7: Unlimited Features book, it has a hamster tutorial for fur, as well as fur coat and another.

Explaining this in a thread reply would be next to impossible...but those are a great starting place.

starjsjswars 11-09-2006 03:04 AM

kk thanks for the help.

mr pix. 16-09-2006 12:13 PM

This is my fur image i create for you. Its not perfect, its a rush job, im sure you cld do better

http://pixalbeat.homestead.com/coyotefur.html

Heres how i did it

1) First thing you gotta do is select Modelling from the pull down menu, then go to polygons UV's > automatic mapping (assuming its a polygonal object that is)

2) Then select Rendering from the pull down mene, and go along to Fur > Attach fur description > new

3) Then in your attribute editor select Fur Description1 and change it to 'Coyote fur' or whatever you choose

Now for the fun part:

4) Here is what i would do. Go to photoshop or even a basic paint program and create some colour thus simular to what you wish. From what ive seen, a random mixture or cream, brown and a tinge of black does the trick.
Fill the page with cream. Then with a spray tool, just use black, brown etc. until your happy.

I didnt even use photshop. I used a cheaper software for this called saint paint. But any image editing software will work.
When your happy, save it, and remember where u put it.

5) Back in maya go to the attributes editor and under 'coyote' change the following;

Density (thickness of your fur) 50000
Base colour - BLACK

Under 'Tip Colour' click the map button next to it then in the 'Render Node', select 'file'

Under file click the box next to 'image name' and find the image you just painted and select it.
Nothing has happened yet.

Now with your select tool, select the fur itself, and your back in the attribute editor. Next to
'Bake Attriubutes' Pulldown menu select > Tip colour and press Bake.

Now you have your colours in place

Now its about trial and error until your happy with the length etc.

This is how i got my image, but you may wish to change yours.

Base Opacity - 0.802
Base Width - 0.008
Tip Width - 0.002
Base Curl - 0.785
Scraggle - 0.198

Then at the top under 'FUR' ...with your object still selected click on the box next to paint fur attributes tool, a menu box will pop up, then click on your choice i.e length and random paint your length as fur is longer in parts. if you wish to keep it at the same length, then just change the length as a whole under the attribute editor.
Try then undo until your satisfied....and Render!

Hope this helps....sorry its so long.

If you need any more help on fur dynamics etc.... email me

pixal_8@btinternet.com

PEACE

mr pix. 16-09-2006 12:21 PM

oh yeah, remember it your gonna have short hair in places, its best to start with that length.

For example, you dont want the fur on the coyotes nose as long as its body, so under length, i would go as short as the face, then you can go to FUR > Paint Fur attributes tool and 'combe' the fur to your desire. Remember, under the Paint Fur attributes the length goes longer not shorter,....so its best of starting with a short length then combing it.

mmoore5553 16-09-2006 11:20 PM

very good little lesson on fur mr pix

starjsjswars 17-09-2006 01:11 AM

Thanks for taking out of your own time to help me! peace thanks again!

mr pix. 17-09-2006 02:12 AM

no probs. hope it helped

starjsjswars 17-09-2006 04:21 AM

Hey jw can i see your tip color thing that you made in that paint program? the picture that is.

cut_the_krab 17-09-2006 05:08 AM

Nice lil fur tut.
Must have !!

Peace!

Gr.
M.