Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   2D and 3D, One big happy family! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5963)

wchamlet 26-05-2003 01:05 AM

2D and 3D, One big happy family!

OK. I'm silly, I know. But I'm working on something I've been wanting to do for awhile. It's still in the early stages, but I think it's looking pretty cool so I wanted to show you guys/gals what I'm working on.

http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartis...lroqpaint2.jpg

I've still got a long way to go, especially with the characters. They're pretty much just siloettes so I can see how the final will look. I'm also going to be adding a ton of details, like dust, rocks, broken columns, etc... to fill the image up. I don't know if I will do it 3D or 2D, I guess it just depends on how I feel. I'm not asking for critique or anything, but if you have something to say, say it please!

The main reason why I'm doing this art piece, is because this is what got me started in 3D. When I saw Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring, the Balroq scenes sold me on 3D. The beauty of it was unbelievable. Now I want to do my version. Kind of like a homage to WETA.

ragecgi 26-05-2003 01:13 AM

do it in 3D!!!! whoohoo! hehe..

Yeah man, it looks KILLER!!

wchamlet 26-05-2003 01:21 AM

My fault, I should have said the background, ie the pillars, lighting, etc... are already 3D. The only thing that I have drawn on it so far is the foreground characters.

If I do dust in 3D I will be dust before this ever gets finished! Particles are not Chad's friend! j/k

I'll probably stick to 3D inorganic, and 2D organic for now. I'd love to model Gandalf, Frodo, etc... but do you know how long that would take! And besides, I haven't got Kaydara yet so I don't even "KNOW" how to set up a rig yet. At least in Maya. Once I get that behind me... heh... maybe characters will be added. Maybe.

Thanks for the compliment.

doodle 26-05-2003 02:07 AM

I like it, although i think piller to the left of the image breakes the magic of the image cos it dosent have that fantastic light on it. Maybe it's the texture? A more grey rock texture like in the film would make the pillers more real. btw...what is the text, look a bit like hieroglyphics.

I like what i see though :)

wchamlet 26-05-2003 06:45 PM

Thanks for the insight z1mmnd14. I've updated the image a bit, adding a darker shadow to further pull your eye around the picture. I'm hoping by tonihgt I'll have some of the characters done. I have to do them in a seperate document because the original of this pic is over 550 MB when it's opened! It takes forever for it to save.

The text is just me scribbling in photoshop! Copied about 1 bazillion times, then thrown on the texture for the pillars. After staring at the pillars for awhile, I think they are kinda bland. To similar, IMO. I'm going to add more cracks and stuff later to give it a more aged feel. Anyway, on to the update.
http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartis...cture%2011.jpg

Updated the pic. Cleaned the silhoettes and playing around with how the shadows will lay.

Raull 27-05-2003 10:17 AM

nice work there bro.

BabyDuck 27-05-2003 10:27 AM

if you happen to have the extended dvd of fellowship of the ring - go for the extras - they talk a bit how they created the room. they also had the same pillar all over the place, but made slight changes with dust and cracks if i remember correctly. but they were fortunate to be able to build a model before it went into 3d.

keep up the great work

Black Robe 27-05-2003 10:53 AM

super cool mate.That last ones my new background now :D

wchamlet 27-05-2003 12:30 PM

Thanks for the comments folks! I appreciate it! Yup, I own the 5 Disc DVD set of the Fellowship of the Rings. I play it continueously on my other Mac while I work. Keeps me motivated! I think that they actually filmed the models. I don't think they did it all in 3D. I could be wrong though, I can't remember all they said about Moria. Anyway, I'll definetely have to watch it again tonight, thanks for reminding me about it! I might come up with some more ideas.

You'll have to change your background pretty soon Black Robe. The characters aren't even done yet! Hopefully today I'll have the update up for all to see. I'm playing around with the light source from Gandalf's staff too. It's too similar to the Balroq's IMO. I also like the way I did the shadows in the first pic better than the ones in the second. So look for them to resemble the first pic more, ie more in a circle, following the light source.

I'll be back!

Black Robe 27-05-2003 12:34 PM

its still looks hella good imo!

wchamlet 27-05-2003 04:03 PM

Ze update with ze' better characters.

http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartis...pt/balroq4.jpg

And for those who would like a wallpaper, here is a larger version, HERE

It's coming along I think. :D

septentrio 27-05-2003 04:18 PM

Yeh, looking good...can't figure if the characters are in 3d or 2d

BabyDuck 27-05-2003 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wchamlet
Thanks for the comments folks! I appreciate it! Yup, I own the 5 Disc DVD set of the Fellowship of the Rings.
5 disc? the version i have only has 4 discs. 2 for the movie and 2 for the extras. maybe because it only has german and english and the 4 commentarys. or they shortcutted the extras (all english with subtitle) for the german version :(

wchamlet 27-05-2003 04:51 PM

There was a DVD by National Geographic that came with mine as well. It's not part of the 4 Disc Box set, it was just in the package. It also came with two bookends of the Argonoth(SP) statues on the mountain.

All the characters are 2D. Painted in Photoshop. :D

Vectorman 27-05-2003 06:33 PM

i think the floor would look better if it wasn't polished marble, i see more like very bumpy dirt floor kinda, maybey concretelike with dirt too or something.