Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Weird targa alpha thing... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32480)

groovdafied 23-05-2009 04:36 AM

Weird targa alpha thing...

I'm kinda new with using textures using an alpha map. And I'm modeling in maya for a game and i'm trying to put together this house and I made a roof texture with an alpha map and the front of the house with the same thing. But while modeling the object, this happens to me (see this pic) , but it looks fine in rendering.

I don't want this to happen when I get this object ready to use in the 3D game, I didn't reverse the normals or anything, I just made two flat planes for the roof and a flat plane for the front of the house, and the textures will float ontop of the roof texture, but if i move the house texture towards the center, roof texture will appear normally. This will happen as well if I create a flat triangle, extrude it, apply the texture, the house texture will still appear on top.

Is this going to display normally and it's just some video card memory limitation???

Please help.:hug:

mastone 23-05-2009 09:34 AM

What is your videocard and which driver do you use, does it change when you set the quality to high in the viewport and in the attr of the shadingnode

groovdafied 23-05-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
What is your videocard and which driver do you use, does it change when you set the quality to high in the viewport and in the attr of the shadingnode
Well I'm using a nvidia 9400GT with drivers I've downloaded from nvidia's website. I haven't tried the quality settings with the viewports, but will reply back as soon as I try it out.

mastone 23-05-2009 08:00 PM

" Well I'm using a nvidia 9400GT with drivers I've downloaded from nvidia's website."

Yeah but sometimes the newest drivers don't work that well with some of your applications , search for Maya system requirements on Google.

groovdafied 24-05-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
" Well I'm using a nvidia 9400GT with drivers I've downloaded from nvidia's website."

Yeah but sometimes the newest drivers don't work that well with some of your applications , search for Maya system requirements on Google.

Okay, so I downloaded the qualified graphics pdf and it's only showing the Quadro compatible cards and not the basic consumer cards. So it's possible that I'm modeling fine within Maya, it's just the video card is not displaying it properly?

___edit___

Okay , so I changed the viewport quality to HIGH and created two models, one has the the alpha targa, and so does the other(just to show as an example).

The first picture shows you the textures displaying properly, the second picture shows the texture appearing ontop and the third shows you where the model is located in 3D space.

Between shot one and two, all I'm doing is rotating the view port, I'm not changing the position of the models themselves... Could this be a sign of some video card incompatibility?

Here's a video i took as well...

Video of what I'm experiencing

Screen Shot 1

Screen Shot 2

Screen Shot 3

Gen 24-05-2009 01:07 AM

Consumer cards work fine more often than not, a lot of people use them for 3D related tasks, I know my 8800 is hanging tough lol :p. This does look video card related, try an old driver.

groovdafied 24-05-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GecT
Consumer cards work fine more often than not, a lot of people use them for 3D related tasks, I know my 8800 is hanging tough lol :p. This does look video card related, try an old driver.
Well if that's so, then that is a major relief, because I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. I will search for the driver when I get home...

lillsnopp 24-05-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by groovdafied
Well if that's so, then that is a major relief, because I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. I will search for the driver when I get home...
I would say that this is a video card issue, nothing to do with what you do in Maya. Personally I can not use Highquality texture rendering in the persp window because of my inferior graphic card.

Seriously, I wouldn't even blame your card, its an okay card that can do most, this simple is an unfortunate incident with a glitch that maybe, ir maybe not, AW would solve eventually.

Try other drivers, old, new anything, just test around, some of them should work else your accept it, nothing really terrible, could just switch to run wireframe if you get annoyed :)

groovdafied 24-05-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lillsnopp
I would say that this is a video card issue, nothing to do with what you do in Maya. Personally I can not use Highquality texture rendering in the persp window because of my inferior graphic card.

Seriously, I wouldn't even blame your card, its an okay card that can do most, this simple is an unfortunate incident with a glitch that maybe, ir maybe not, AW would solve eventually.

Try other drivers, old, new anything, just test around, some of them should work else your accept it, nothing really terrible, could just switch to run wireframe if you get annoyed :)

I thought the same thing, it's not annoying me now, but it would have annoyed me if I needed to fix my models lol

Thank you all for your input!!!:beer: