Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SimplyMaya Tutorials (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Architectural Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23919)

adam s 22-11-2006 02:11 PM

Architectural Modeling

Dear Kurt,
I think you are the best for Maya training :) I wonder that when you release a detailed architectural modeling DVD. I'm waiting for a long time for this.
Thank you very much.

DreamsIn3D 22-11-2006 03:24 PM

I use both Max and Maya and love them both.. but in my opinion, and as a 3D architectual designer and modeler for a company, I suggest you learn in Max..

..its used more in the industry. Not that maya cant make great interior/exterior works, it can. I just know that when looking on craigslist.com for freelance work for extra cash, I notice everyone looks for Max/vray/Photoshop experience.

Just something to take into consideration ;)

(Look at cgarchitect.com for alot of information for this also. They have great tuts for building interior/exterior shots and also lighting tutorials for both vray and using regular lighting.)

mirek03 22-11-2006 05:09 PM

if he is learning Maya so be it but nice suggestion, either he goes illegal or lays out a heap of cash for two programs and unless he does completely nothing else with his life except waste it by a computer he might learn both programs within 3 years MIGHT!

Kurt already has a number of tuts about interiors and exteriors, but if you are looking for CAD architecture, you will need a plug in I think. Kurt's tuts may seem just , well copy me sort of thing, but he does mention that he uses inches and feet or metres, etc for reasons that architecture plans come in these measurements and he shows how to adjust Maya to get the correct dimensions (settings/ feet and inches/ centimetres).

he is not the best, they are all the best.

If you really want to do REAL architecture, go to school/ college or uni, whatever, but do not rely on a tut to teach you those skills, people take years of hard effort to get into that business, but if you just want to mess around with a few plans, well, a few tuts are fine and so is Maya, but is you want to get work in that area, go with the experienced ones as in the reply before mine, this adam seems to have his finger on the pulse. just decide how serious you are, Kurt is busy making sea creatures and stunning organics, he does have a few tuts for interiors, check out the DVD tut section.

DreamsIn3D 23-11-2006 04:53 AM

Yeah if you want to do REAL architecture, go to school.. I agree.

BUT.. I dont think he wants to go to school to become an architect. I think he probably wants to do interior rendering or exterior.. modeling in 3D for companies who need it.

Sorry to burst your bubble rant about the schooling, but I work for an architectural company and design + 3D model both interior and exteriors and also render them out using Vray... my point?

My point is I taught myself from January 06 to September 06 and at the end of Sept, got a call from a company. I taugh myself doing only online tutorials and visiting architectural sites. I never attended a school for it never had a degree for it. And with my self taught experience, have a full time job without a degree and am in the 3D architectural business.

SO... I think I know what Im talking about. Sure a degree from school is nice, but if your portfolio sux, it doesnt matter what that little degree says... you'll still suck.

Also, learn both programs in 3 years?? Come on.. sure if he wants to master both and know exactly every little nook and cranny. I use Max for archi and Maya for animation. I attend www.animationmentor.com where I use Maya which helps learn it but I could see myself learning Maya as easily as I learned Max with the right online tutorials...

...dont underestimate the power of someone who wants to learn. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Kurt 23-11-2006 05:19 AM

One of my next projects will be a city scape. should be a lot of fun.

adam s 23-11-2006 06:15 AM

sorry !

I said before Kurt is the Best, I'm so sorry 'Simply Maya team' They r all best. Thank you...

mirek03 23-11-2006 03:02 PM

well said DI3, i know what you mean; i just won an encouragement award at uni for doing post sound and music composition for the whole natural histories film dept (i alreay had a rep) and my piont; i had two weeks to do them (4 movies oh, and one animation so 5 movies,) and post sound is the last link in the chain and so they all came in at once.

i was stupid enough to think they would come in on schedule) and i did them on final cut pro and pro tools..,NOW my piont, i had never used protools before and so i had a lot of work on a program i had never used. From 9am to 4pm for two weeks, but i did it (because me degree depended on it). it nearly killed me and my clothes are still in the bathroom and the dishes still in the sink and i am not happy i am depressed.., proud, but depressed. and i would never advise anyone to do that.., never ever ever... unless your life depends on it as mine did, now i have BA next to my name rather than 'street boy')

all i was saying, because it is rare that anyone can learn two animation programs from jan to sept and then get a job of their choice was; DO NOT WASTE YOUR LIFE SITTING IN FRONT OF A COMPUTER. if he just wants to do scenes, maya should be enough, i think it is unhealthy and just plain complusive to learn both just for the sake of it and a testement to a boring life. but DI3 you are in the business so if he wants to get into that then V-Ray that sounds the way to go.., no bubble burst.

personally i think if he wants to do archetecture, then a degree will not hurt, and he will have people to help him, maybe you had someone to help you,.. no mom or wife here. life should be balanced.

i am starting to think, there must be more to life than this, i'd love a day sitting on the beach...:headbang:

DreamsIn3D 23-11-2006 04:03 PM

No help here.. mom dead, fathers an asshole... I lived out of my car and would park at hotel parking lots and connect to their internet just to get on 3d forums and whatnot.

I finally got a crap job paying 6 bucks an hour at a warehouse taking crap to peoples car.. and when I got back to the place I could afford to rent finally, I would spend all that time on the computer...

..its called dedication and working towards a goal. I achieved that goal and now I work at home making nice money, bought a xps 700 and have a home studio to do everything I want.. got a girlfriend who supports what I do.

I may be a ''streetboy'' with no education and no BA beside my name, but I got one hell of a drive and motivation level that would surpass alot of people with so called degrees.

Having said that, good job on achieving your goal. :beer:

NeoStrider 23-11-2006 05:49 PM

i guess i'll throw in my two cents... maya has distance tools that should be able to allow you to create (accurate) architectural models. i used it myself to recreate the entire interior of my house (after taking thorough measurements, of course...), and i could show you a render of any room in the house... a walkthough is more difficult because of the camera height (and stereotypical motion through a house) and because i did all my test renders in mental ray before playing around with it, but it most definitely CAN be accomplished in maya.

if it's architecture you're after, maya offers not only distance tools, but also arc length and parameter tools, all found under the create menu. the three-point and two-point circular arc tools are more complicated, but you should be able to create (to an accurate scale) any blueprint you come across.

DreamsIn3D 24-11-2006 05:02 AM

I never said maya couldnt do it. I said take a look on craigslist.com and I can guarantee you 95% of the companies want someone who can do it with Max/vray.. not maya.

Max is used in archviz for a reason. This isnt an app war. Its just saying a majority of the companies favor it over maya.

mirek03 24-11-2006 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
never implied you were a street boy, i am/was is all. i know that story of yours very well, lived it for a long time and impressed you are one of the few who got out and got it together, family sounds like mine, my arsehole of a father is on the phone at the moment and i hate him and am saying 'yes'' and 'no' as i write this, he decided he had a son when he got sick, he was 73 then, three years ago, its a pain.., you know. he used to say he didn't have a son.., you figure???

hell i think you deserve this more than me so now you are a street kid, with a good job with a great girl and now an award;

all in fun mate, take care...

marlonjohn 23-12-2006 11:01 PM

"I use both Max and Maya and love them both.. but in my opinion, and as a 3D architectual designer and modeler for a company, I suggest you learn in Max.."

i agree, "just a though" if your going to do architechtual design and take it seriously, i think you should go to max aswell.. i know a couple of well known architects and most of them told me if i wanted to do something like that i should learn max,

but i personally woudnt go to max, i love maya too much... ;p

cheers, marlon..

c3e 22-01-2007 08:32 AM

would be really cool with a ditailed town or something ^^