Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Island in the Middle of the Ocean/Lake in the Middle of Land (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9678)

clebo99 05-01-2004 02:42 PM

Island in the Middle of the Ocean/Lake in the Middle of Land

Hey Everyone,

First off, I'm still a newbie....

I am working on a scene where there is a house on an island in the middle of the ocean. The problem I have is that the waves are going through the island (nurbs plane that I have modeled).

I also want a lake in the middle of the island but the fluid effect doesn't "snap" to the plane. It kind of "hovers" over.

Can someone steer me in the right direction. If you can provide a few steps on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

Chris, Baltimore

Darkware 05-01-2004 09:50 PM

For first problem: simply model the nurbs plane so it doesn't intersect you land mass. You can either add more isoparms and bring some vertices down or make a hole in it with projecting curves and "deleting" the inside portion.

Second problem: I'm not that good with fluid effects to begin with. You might have to show a picture of what your fluid effect looks like for me to better understand what to do unless someone else comes along that knows. ;) Is it possible to just add another ocean nurbs plane for the lake and tone the waves down a bit? That might work.

clebo99 06-01-2004 02:41 PM

I see...so you are saying I can just delete a portion of the ocean that is "under" the island? I'll give that a try.

As for the lake, I don't really have an example. Just any lake in the middle of land would do.

Chris, Baltimore

ragecgi 06-01-2004 04:53 PM

Re: Island in the Middle of the Ocean/Lake in the Middle of Land

Quote:

Originally posted by clebo99
Hey Everyone,
The problem I have is that the waves are going through the island (nurbs plane that I have modeled).

What did you do to the plane? Did you add an ocean shader to it or?
Srry, need more info...

Quote:

I also want a lake in the middle of the island but the fluid effect doesn't "snap" to the plane. It kind of "hovers" over.
Can you show us a viewport snapshot? or a render maybe?
I'm not sure what you mean by "hovering".

Anyhoo, for a small lake/pond there is a pond preset you can get from Alias's site I believe that should help you with that.
Otherwise, doing what Darkware said by toning-down the wave height etc, of an ocean preset fluid would work just fine for this.

clebo99 06-01-2004 05:29 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

I created a plane because I thought that is how you made "the ground" of a scene. Actually, I imported this plane from a website and then added the Ocean Fluid Effect that comes with Maya 5.0.

I am still a beginner so I may be going about this all wrong. If there is an example that I can download, that would be great.

Thanks again.

Chris, Baltimore