Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Are you a professional? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23642)

TheFourRiders 28-10-2006 04:05 AM

Are you a professional?

Hello,

I was wandering how many of you members use Maya for a career? And how many of you want to be/are training to be doing this for a career? Just curious. And also, what programs do you use, along with Maya?

Thanks,
TheFourRiders

Jay 28-10-2006 09:54 AM

I use Maya everyday in my day job along with Zb and PS

Cheers
Jay

publicFunction 28-10-2006 10:40 PM

Training...

Trying to get into the games industry as a modeller. Putting together a showreel from stuff I did for the Etherea Project and my own personal stufff. Also creating a pdf document Powerpoint using Acrobat 3D (Great app btw).

Temp Doc Here, so click the link and have a look. Also be aware this needs Acrobat Reader 7 to view the 3D items properly, a lower version will not allow you to work with the 3D content.

mtmckinley 28-10-2006 10:58 PM

yep, I work at a game studio and have written a couple maya books. :)

dannyngan 29-10-2006 04:38 AM

Working professional here, too. 8+ years as an animator and 3D artist in the game industry and still going. Also spent 6 years teaching animation at a university.

vic39 03-11-2006 07:56 AM

I don't.....

as in work professionally in Maya or anything like that.

I am a software engineer and developer for aol,
but I first heard and saw maya about 5 years ago when I worked for a startup company owned by
a graphic artist. The whole business was graphic artists except for me - I was the programmer/web admin/network admin (small company - you do everything). Anyways - I loved what you could do with Maya and was completely impressed.

not until about 1 year ago did I start looking into learning about Maya. I think it is cool as hell. I always had an artistic inclination but at my age (just turned 30 1 month ago) am starting to worry that it is too late - I would love to work in the field as a software guy. Learning Maya (especially MEL) would be a good start - which is my goal.

cut_the_krab 03-11-2006 10:44 PM

Funny

Funny to see that ppl who rarely post or reply all of a sudden post as first ones when it says "professional" in the title.
:eek:
Me, I'm an editor/compositor, that's how I came in contact with 3d. (Started out as an editor, learned compositing, now doing 3d cgi integration too). Shake, FCP, Motion, Combustion, CS2, etc...
The possibilities in Maya (or 3D apps are gargantuous) but a lot of stuff to finish it off is compositing (a bit underestimated in 3D communities I find it!). Nonetheless I became interested in 3D too, a whole 3 months in actually doing stuff (like modeling and rendering). Great to see that online tutorials and even DVD's can help you forward to a certain degree. Passed that you can really use a bit of real-life feedback to advance at a faster pace.

So not really using Maya as a professional app., I use it to freewheel and make some cool stuff for myself.
Although, If I would get the time, I would love to become an overall skilled 3d vfx/sfx artist.

Gr.
M.

Jay 04-11-2006 02:01 AM

Quote:

Funny to see that ppl who rarely post or reply all of a sudden post as first ones when it says "professional" in the title.
C_T_K
Dude really, what sort of quote is that? as for rarely posting I believe you only have a 133 on the last count. I'd also beg to differ on that especially for myself and Mike who both use Maya in our day jobs, day to day ie games and other 3d related projects. Id say being paid to do stuff week in and out makes you a pro regardless of profession......

Just a little thought before engaging your keyboard wouldnt go amiss.

Cheers
Jay

ckyuk 04-11-2006 03:59 AM

Talking of people who rarely post, i haven't been around here lately.

Anyway, for years I always said i'd make maya my career and believed i would. Even went to college and got a national diploma in graphics just so i could go to uni to study animation in glamorgan. Sadly that dream never came true (probably down to lack of effort on my part) and about six months ago i stopped using maya on a regular basis. Now i work as an apprentice service technician for volkswagen and might open maya once a month.

Saying that maybe this post is a first step back into the world of maya after my long break. Feel like starting it up and having a play again.

cut_the_krab 04-11-2006 02:07 PM

Dude really, what sort of quote is that? as for rarely posting I believe you only have a 133 on the last count.

Is this a joke?

You posted 2399 times in 4 years, that's averaged 53/month, for a professional occupied artist, doing his 3d thing on a DAILY bases.
Me on the other hand, a complete and utter noob in 3D, registered 4 months ago with 133 posts, so averaging 33posts/month, and working in 3D few hours(!)/week. I'd say that's not so bad for regularity mister.

As for your opinion/definition on "professional"
True that professional (as a noun) means being engaged in a specified activity, as a main paid occupation rather than a pasttime. Not gonna argue there. But obviously you didn't understand because that wasn't the point!
Point was that some people are very picky on what posts to reply. Helping out noobs with golden tips and tricks is a very nobel thing to do, but not doing that is frustrating for the beginners, who sometimes wait for days, not weeks to get an answer they are looking for. All it took for the big ones to come out and post inhere as first ones (for future understanding->no offence though) was to put the word "professional" in the title. For people who read these forums daily looking for answers and not getting them THAT is frustrating to see.
Nonetheless I understand that being occupied as a professional, in whatever profession you are doesn't leave too much time to read and reply to all the topics.
Needless to say I should not "defend" myself here because there was no offensive undertone in my previous reply. But the
Just a little thought before engaging your keyboard wouldnt go amiss.
was totally not in place since it was just doing THAT that made me write it. A remark, a personal finding I could call it. That's all it was. Not a personal attack on your or anybody's person! I don't question your capabilities, but being a professional does not mean you are good at what you do, and I feel you interepreted the reply in that way! Or am I wrong again?

M.

vladimirjp 04-11-2006 02:43 PM

i work as a game artist, and i almost always help noobs or whom ever if i have the time.

i dont see your arguement here sir,

its not like 300 pro's suddenly responded in this thread, only a couple of replies.
that doesnt justify you saying what you said [soon as pro is in the title the pro emerge from darkness]

danny's been here a long time, maybe he has seen all those questions asked over and over. mike and Jay are always lurking here and me too.

cut_the_crap cut_the_krap, ok :p [came up with that myself, yay ]

Jay 04-11-2006 03:35 PM

LOL....though Im not joking

As Vlad has stated, the minute the word 'Professional' appears, the Professional contingent that help and advise the majority of noobs here WILL appear.

So you comments are not justified from your previous post. Personally speaking YOU insulted the Professional lads here with your smart arsed comment. Hence my replying to Engage your brain before your keyboard.

Cheers
Jay

cut_the_krab 04-11-2006 03:43 PM

cut_the_crap cut_the_krab you mean?

vladimirjp 04-11-2006 03:48 PM

krap. krab,

patata, potato, tomati, tomalo :p

lets all go back to doing whatever we do.

mtmckinley 04-11-2006 05:31 PM

wow, arguments can just crop up from anywhere, can't they? haha