Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Plug-ins (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30424)

krayzface 15-07-2008 09:56 PM

Plug-ins

I am wanting to bring in some 3D models from an outside source (files from the Protein Data Bank in .vrml or .mol2 file format) and currently I do not have the ability to import them into Maya. Does anyone know of a plug-in that might allow me to bring in those file types?

Also, I have used Maya on other computers (not my own) and there was an option in the Preferences to turn on a projection for selecting edges and faces (where an edge/face turns green when mouse passes over it letting you know that would be the one you'd select if clicked). That is not available on my version. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this option (if it is a separate option that needs to be "turned on" like from the plug-in manager, or is it only available for certain Maya versions)?

BennyK 15-07-2008 10:07 PM

STFW (AKA Google it - does anyone remember where this is from?)
*.vrml to Maya seems promissing... *.mol2 doesn't but If you look really well you might find something.
Benny

jsprogg 16-07-2008 12:00 AM

Pre selection highlight i believe is part of Maya 2008 , but multi selection which includes being able to hightlight whatever you mouse over rather than the component mode you are in requires extension pack 2 for 2008.
You can turn pre selection highlight on or off in the preferences under Window then Setting/Preferences then highlihgt selection .

If you are not using Maya 2008 then you could use the NEX plugin made by digitalraster, although this is not a free plugin.

krayzface 16-07-2008 11:09 PM

Hey thanks for the info! I am using 2008 and I know what you are talking about in the Settings/Prefs but on my computer the option isn't even there to check (under the "Modifiers" section of the "Selection" portion of the settings).
I didn't know if maybe it was something that came separate. It's not the end of the world but it is one of my favorite tools settings to have turned on because of the ease of selecting a face or edge and it keeps you from selecting the wrong one.

Quote:

Originally posted by jsprogg
Pre selection highlight i believe is part of Maya 2008 , but multi selection which includes being able to hightlight whatever you mouse over rather than the component mode you are in requires extension pack 2 for 2008.
You can turn pre selection highlight on or off in the preferences under Window then Setting/Preferences then highlihgt selection .

If you are not using Maya 2008 then you could use the NEX plugin made by digitalraster, although this is not a free plugin.

jsprogg 17-07-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

the option isn't even there to check (under the "Modifiers" section of the "Selection" portion of the settings).
I thought the option for pre selection highlight was in 2008 but it might be a feature of ext pack 1 but definately ext pack 2 gives you multi selction highlight.