Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How ca i create the glow on a planet? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11023)

tank2002 17-03-2004 09:18 PM

How ca i create the glow on a planet?

1 Attachment(s)
HI

I'm creating a planet with 3 poly spheres :

1st the actual terrain
2nd for the clouds
and 3rd for the atmosphere

but how on the 3rd i can create the glow like the pic attach?

thanks

Darkware 17-03-2004 09:36 PM

A short cheap way to do it would be to create a ring with a shader that imitates the glow effect just a little bigger than the size of your earth, position it correctly, then point constrain it to your camera. That way, it will always make a "glow" effect no matter where you move the camera. All an illusion obviously though...

tank2002 18-03-2004 02:47 PM

Thats a good trick but, My camera will be moving following a ship
i think wont work for me....

thanks and keep it coming!

Stephen 18-03-2004 03:21 PM

What you need to do is create a sphere to the required size and give a blue colour and glow intensity. Turn off Double Sided and turn on Opposite in the render stats, then render, thats it.
See me picture in the gallery called Earth.
good luck!

Alan 18-03-2004 03:39 PM

or you could use the facing ratio in a shader to control the glow of another sphere.... although the other way mentioned by Stephen would also do it :)

Hanuman 19-03-2004 01:03 PM

I just finished putting atmosphere on some planets and I did it as follows:
1. follow stephen's suggestions
2. use a rampshader for the , turn on glow intensity, uncheck "hide source", and the transparency slider can be used to control how much the atmosphere covers the planet. Actually, when you use a rampshader, there is no need to turn on Opposite in the Render Stats.

Good luck

tank2002 19-03-2004 02:40 PM

hey guys!

thanks for the great help ill be posting the result as soon as i finish it

again thanks!

tank2002 25-03-2004 01:14 PM

hey guys

All this time i was trying to follow stepehn and human suggestions, but im missing something i can't create the effect

I'm banging my head on the floor since i hink is a simple thing to do but i cant get it right....

I dind this:

Create a poly spehere
Turn off Double Sided and turn on Opposite
create a lambert material
turn glow intensity from 0 to 500 (i tried all the values not exceding 1.00)
created a directional light (default values)
and play with the color , transparency and ambient colors

then i follow hanuman suggestion

Create a poly spehere
create a lambert material
turn glow intensity from 0 to 500 (i tried all the values not exceding 1.00)
BUT HE SUGGEST RAMP SHADER ON SOMETHING (HE LEFT OUT THAT PART) so i try using it on the color or ambient or transparency

The result is an overwelming gloe or no glow at all....

CAN somebody give me the excats steps to follow maybe im missing something or create a simple scene with a sphere and attach it here so i can see it...?

again thanks in adavance

Hanuman 26-03-2004 04:17 AM

Sorry, could have been unclear the way I expressed it. What I meant was not to map a ramp on the color or ambient or transparency attributes of a Lambert Material. You should use "Ramp Shader" as a material and apply that to a sphere. In my hypershade (Maya 5.0), it is the eighth material down, just after PhongE.

Hanuman 26-03-2004 04:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I got using the "ramp shader" material.

tank2002 26-03-2004 01:49 PM

Thanks humana, I see now what you mean I'll give it a try....thanks a lot! I'll post the result soon....

tank2002 29-03-2004 03:56 PM

arrr, i can't get this glow effect, Am I to newbie to figure this out? the ramp shader dont do the effect i want....

tank2002 29-03-2004 04:00 PM

this what i've done without the glow...

Hanuman 30-03-2004 04:02 AM

Let me take you through it step by step:

1. Create a RampShader Material

2. In Common Material Attributes|Color, set two color handles. The one on the left should be black, and its selected position 0 and the second one blue (or the color of the atmosphere you want) and its selected position 1.

3. Set Interpolation to Linear, and Color Input to Light Angle.
In Common Material Attributes|Transparency, set two color handles. The one on the left should be black and its selected position 0, and the second one white, and its selected position 0.250 (play with this value as it determines the amount the atmosphere covers your sphere).

4. In Special Effects, set Hide Source to True and set a value for Glow Intensity to a value you like.

For the sphere that you map this shader to, go to Render Stats and uncheck Double Sided. I don't have Opposite checked.

This sphere should be slightly larger than the sphere you have your planet texture mapped to. Let's say your planet sphere's scale is 50 then your atmosphere scale could be something like 50.1 or thereabouts.

I have a light that is linked to the Atmosphere only, so that you can tweak the glow without affecting the planet.

I suggest you also read up on the default shaderGlow1 node that Maya puts in the Hypershade.

Good luck and hope this helps.

tank2002 30-03-2004 08:07 PM

Amazing Hanuman, Thanks for taking time and teach me!!!!
I really appreciated

I'll try it and post the results since i had problems attaching my last post

One more thing when u say link a light to the atmossphere u mean parented?

again thanks for taking time and teach me.....