Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   silly question .. how to mirror duplicate? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33022)

WH33LS 05-09-2009 10:20 PM

silly question .. how to mirror duplicate?

been away for a while .. might try to get back into maya

i forget how to mirror duplicate .. like make a duplication in mirror image

Thank you in advance for your help, it's much appreciated

ty

Dango77 05-09-2009 10:54 PM

Hi Wh33ls,

Polygon menu set - Mesh - Mirror geometry - option box - mirror direction -X, or +X if you modelled the left hand side first.

WH33LS 05-09-2009 11:27 PM

Thank you very much

And 1 more question if everyone dont mind

How do i set the polygon scale for Inches? "

Thanks again in advance a greatly appreciated

Dango77 06-09-2009 12:29 AM

No problem, the answer to your second question is....

Windows menu - settings and preferences - preferences,
the preferences options opens in a new window, then half way down - settings - working units.

Then change it to whichever you want.

WH33LS 07-09-2009 07:35 PM

Thanks much for the previous responses .. been working on my model, i figure it'll be done in a few days

I had 1 more question tho ..

What is the keyboard short cut (ctrl + ?) to repeat the last function

(i need to merge verticies but i have to keep going to the tool bar option over and over and over and over ...

Thanks again in advance, greatly appreciated

Dango77 07-09-2009 08:05 PM

All good Wh33ls,

The shortcut is g, without the Ctrl+, just g.

So merge one pair of verts. select the next ones, hit g and repeat!

If all of your verts that need merging are along the Y axis (ie, you've mirrored half a model over) you can go into the merge verts options, lower the range to minimum, select all the verts along the Y axis and hit enter, it should merge all of the pairs together as long as two sets aren't too close together anywhere. If there is a few here and there that are too close you'll probably have to do it one by one.

Chirone 07-09-2009 09:27 PM

last i used that mirror geometry it combined the two pieces of geometry if you haven't checked it to merge
if you checked it to merge then you wouldn't need to do the merge vertices

if your model is symmetric then you can align all the verts in the middle of the model so that they are all straight and move the pivot point inline with them (hit insert to move pivot, or home on mac(?)),
then use mirror gometry with merge meshes checked on(i prefer duplicate special, because it doesn't screw up as much)

if you did do the duplicate special way then mesh > combine them, and then you can select all the verts, go to merge vertices > option box and change the threashold to something like 0.001, since the verts should all be on top of each other they will merge without problem