Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Emma Watson ( Drew Struzan inspired ) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33691)

THX1138 31-01-2010 04:48 AM

Emma Watson ( Drew Struzan inspired )

Just wanted to show another project I have been working on. A very simple portait of Emma Watson of harry potter fame. This piece is another homage to the great talent of Drew Struzan.

This is still more of a concept than anything else, so I'm just experimenting with techniques. I used the color scheme from "The green Mile" and "Indy 4" to set the tone. let me know what you think.

daverave 31-01-2010 08:39 AM

Hi THX1138
Lovely work as always, how long does it take you to get to this stage...........dave

THX1138 31-01-2010 04:05 PM

cheers daverave! :beer:

It depends on the project. It could take days or weeks at the most. This little piece only took a couple of days since the picture was small. On larger pieces, it usually takes me about a week for the pencil sketch, and a couple of weeks for the color process because it's done with photoshop masks.

ben hobden 02-02-2010 12:13 AM

yeah, really like this. how small is it, pixels wise? do you scan in a drawing first then?

THX1138 02-02-2010 12:31 AM

Cheers ben hobden! Thanks for the compliment! :beer:

The pic is 403x412 pixels in size, and I do scan in a pencil sketch first.

ben hobden 02-02-2010 01:30 AM

its really good. i tried to get into photoshop painting in the spring of 2008, but it didnt quite work for me at the time. im starting to use photoshop more again now, i have a bit more confidence. what do you mean, if you dont mind me asking, by using photoshop masks. do you mean layer masks?

...ps, i bet emma watson would like this too. apparently she's a bit of an artist herself

THX1138 02-02-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

what do you mean, if you dont mind me asking, by using photoshop masks. do you mean layer masks?
Photoshop masks are not a replacement for layers. A mask is an effects tool to bend certain part's of your image layers together to your desire (if that makes any sence).

I highly recommend learning all you can about photoshop. It's a must if your using a 3D modeling app like maya, especially if your texturing a model.

ben hobden 02-02-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by THX1138
Photoshop masks are not a replacement for layers. A mask is an effects tool to bend certain part's of your image layers together to your desire (if that makes any sence).

I highly recommend learning all you can about photoshop. It's a must if your using a 3D modeling app like maya, especially if your texturing a model.

Im not sure I follow. I mean, a layer mask is where with the help of black and white and the values in between, you reveal or hide parts of a layer. Do you mean using this feature in a more complex way?

I am piece by piece trying to chip away at the vast array of what there is to learn with photoshop. I have recently invested in a couple of good (I think) books. Im modelling at the moment to give myself something to paint on. Looking forward more to the photoshop part, but dont want to rush in before Im satisfied with my foundation. Im going for a city, not sure whether Ill use photos aswell as paint, would like to get as far as I can with paint I think.

THX1138 02-02-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Im not sure I follow. I mean, a layer mask is where with the help of black and white and the values in between, you reveal or hide parts of a layer. Do you mean using this feature in a more complex way?
I think you know more about photoshop than your realise.:beer: As far as masks are concerned, the use of them can get complex, but once you get use to them, they are a snap to operate. I use masks mainly for coloring; however, I also use it to edit my pencil sketch's.

ben hobden 03-02-2010 12:27 AM

i hope so. i would like to think some of the lonely nights have been for something! i shall keep your colouring with masks in mind.

daverave 04-02-2010 09:14 AM

Hi THX1138
I look at your pic of Emma and it brings the fealing of summer with all the warm tones you have used. When you say blend the colours are you using the mulityply function in layers to mix.......dave

THX1138 04-02-2010 11:21 PM

Cheers daverave!:beer:

Here is a link to the tutorial I learned from that I apply to my sketches to colorize them. It's way better than me trying to explain it. I highly recommend bookmarking it if you plan to use it.

LINK

gster123 05-02-2010 07:46 AM

Superb work as usual my friend!

With your stuff I almost look at it and think that its a photoshoped photo!

great work!

Steve

daverave 05-02-2010 10:20 AM

Hi THX1138
Thanks for the link that will be very useful ( got to find tut to make me look younger LOL), how do you handle things like porse i.e. alpha brushes or free hand. You could enter the competition as I think there is still a month to go then I could see how you would handle the navi skin as it is not as easy as I first thought...............dave

THX1138 05-02-2010 11:57 AM

Cheers gster123 :beer:

I think whats really bugging you is the line art. It bugs alot of people I show it to. Maybe I put too much work into it.

Here are a couple of artist that believe it or not, trace a good deal of their work.

One is Richard Amsel Link and another is Drew Struzan of which I study pretty hard. link

Tell you what, My next piece will stray away from accurate line art.